Death Information

  • barbara erickson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 17, 2009
      Hi everybody. I have a question that I have not been able to solve myself. My bio mother died Dec. 29,2008 in Aurora, Colorado. Ancestry shows the information but I cannot find an obit. She used to live in California and there is no obit there, where can I find an obit and what state would deal with the will?

      I would be thankful for any help, Barb

    • Tara
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 17, 2009
        Barb-
        I have several relatives that there are not obits for. Locally I know that
        the family has to pay for the obit to run in the paper. Maybe the family
        couldn't afford it???
        Just a thought....
        Tara

        On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 6:21 PM, barbara erickson <berickson49@...>wrote:

        > Hi everybody. I have a question that I have not been able to solve myself.
        > My bio mother died Dec. 29,2008 in Aurora, Colorado. Ancestry shows the
        > information but I cannot find an obit. She used to live in California and
        > there is no obit there, where can I find an obit and what state would deal
        > with the will?
        >
        > I would be thankful for any help, Barb

      • Meagan Coggins
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 17, 2009
          I am a bit confused.  As her daughter it would have been you and your siblings (plus your father if he was/is still alive) who would handle the obituary and the will.  You tell the funeral home what you want them to have the newspaper put in her obit.  The will would be where ever she had it saved, like my mother has hers with her lawyer.  If you are somehow not involved in her will at all then you can go to the county probate and ask to see it.

          Hi everybody. I have a question that I have not been able to solve myself. My bio mother died Dec. 29,2008 in Aurora, Colorado. Ancestry shows the information but I cannot find an obit. She used to live in California and there is no obit there, where can I find an obit and what state would deal with the will?

          I would be thankful for any help, Barb

        • rwe
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 17, 2009
            The will should/would be in the county and state of her permanant, full time legal residence. As for an obit, that would be left to the people/family that requested the obit to be published. If she had no friends/family, there's nothing saying she HAD to have an obit published.If she had friends/family in CA that wanted others to know she passed, they could have had it published in CA. It really depends.Best suggestion is to call the local library and ask if they would look up an obit for you and give them the name & date. Most libraries will do this for free, larger libraries usually will not....depends.You can look on rootsweb.com and enter her SSIN or her name and it will give you last residence, etc.
            Hope that helped some.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 18, 2009
              Meagan~
              Not if she were adopted.

              From: barbara erickson <berickson49@ yahoo.com>

              To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com

              Date: Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 7:21 PM

              Hi everybody. I have a question that I have not been able to solve myself. My bio mother died Dec. 29,2008 in Aurora, Colorado. Ancestry shows the information but I cannot find an obit. She used to live in California and there is no obit there, where can I find an obit and what state would deal with the will?

              I would be thankful for any help, Barb

            • Louise
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 18, 2009
                No one pays for an obit in our state unless they want a very long, detailed one they write themselves. Back years ago, that option was not offered at all. Most funeral homes are the ones who submit the obits. That is free of charge although the newspaper can make some money by selling the family copies of the obit in a protective plastic cover...laminated. My grandmother's obit  showed up online until this year and she was buried in 1944.

                Never forget that there is always a blue sky and shining sun above the darkest clouds.

              • Peakcat@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 18, 2009
                  Barbara:

                  Do you know if she was a permanent resident in Colorado when she passed
                  away and who she was living with? Some people do not necessarily have obits
                  put in the newspapers because of cost or other reasons. You might try writing
                  to the Aurora Dept of Health to see if there is a death certificate on
                  file.

                  Good luck.

                  Ina Getzoff
                  _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)

                  fingertips.

                • Julie Rittacco
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 18, 2009
                    Barb, what is your bio mothers name? I live in Aurora, Co and will see if I can find anything for you. Julie

                    To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                    From: berickson49@...
                    Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:21:39 -0700