need help looking for patients/inmates of topeka state (insane) hosptal

  • Jean
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 17, 2009
      We need some help. SNYDER (GREGG), IDA dob: 26 Oct 1881 in Iowa, USA. was committed to topeka state hospital in KS between state census 1915 and fed census 1920 until abt 1953, where she was placed into a rest home (per her death cert). Apparetnly she was committed because she tried to kill her only surviving child (Lilly Belle SNYDER) in the kitchen with a knife... per the family. I am looking for more info about her for the rest of the remaining grandchildren who have asked about it.
      Where would I look now to try to find more?
      The family story says that she spent time in Menninger's, but from the 1914 KS state census to the 1930 US Federal census all state she was residing in Topeka State before moving to the rest home.
      She was married to Washington SNYDER, was never divorced from Wash, and died in the Holm Rest Home in Almena KS o 25 Feb 1963 as a widow. (Wash died in 1947 in Silverton, WA).
      Thanks in advance,
      Jean
    • Mary Stewart
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 17, 2009
        Hi!  You may want to try newspaper archives from the area ... maybe someone at the group has a subscription to a service?  I'm not sure if there would have been an article about the incident, but it would be worth a try.  Check her obit also.  There may also be court or police records ... freedom of infomation may allow you or someone to obtain them.  The nursing home records might be accessable, but State Hospital records pretty much take a court order ... I've tried!  My Great Grandmother spent the last 20 years of her life in a State Hospital in Michigan ... they practically laughed at me when I asked to see the records!
        Hope this helps!  Good luck!  Keep us posted!
        Mary

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 17, 2009
          What kind of information are you looking for?  You will not get anything from the hospital, doesn't matter if she was there 100 years ago, I have never heard of a hospital releasing records.  Have you read her obit or gone to visit her grave?

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 17, 2009
            My great-grandmother was in an insane asylum in Oregon and I got copies of all her records.
            Brandy

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 18, 2009
              How cool!  and unusual!  You are very lucky!  Is that institution still open?  Who did you contact, someone at the hospital or someone at the State?  I've wanted so much to even know why my great grandmother was committed ... I was told once by my mother that my great grandmother died when her duaghter, my grandmother, was just a child!  I found her 'by accident' in the 1910 & 1920 census'!  I'm still not sure who knew what ... everyone brfore me has passed on.
              Would love to know what red-tape you ran across, etc!
              Thanx!
              Mary

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 18, 2009

                > We need some help. SNYDER (GREGG), IDA dob: 26 Oct 1881 in Iowa, USA. was committed to topeka state hospital in KS between state census 1915 and fed census 1920 until abt 1953, where she was placed into a rest home (per her death cert). Apparetnly she was committed because she tried to kill her only surviving child (Lilly Belle SNYDER) in the kitchen with a knife... per the family. I am looking for more info about her for the rest of the remaining grandchildren who have asked about it.
                >
                > Where would I look now to try to find more?

                You might try checking newspaper stories about the alleged crime.
                Many times these hit the papers (Juicy news!!) Also court records would show if this story is true. Check the local county courts at the timeframes of the alleged incident.

                Good luck hunting!!