Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Old yearbook photos of relatives

  • Diane S
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 17, 2009
      I have had so many wonderful people come into my life, it is amazing - lots of cousins, close and far... and friends I hope to keep for life.
      I am now in the process of catching up with my email after my daughter's visit with her two sons, then clean up everything on my desk and in my files ... scanning and organizing... and then I will begin to write! LOTS of information, and I want to tell the story of my ancestors so the manuscript will be interesting, and I have had some strange ancestors!
      Thanks to everyone 'out there in cyber-land' who has assisted me in accomplishing my goal, with minimum brick walls.
      Diane S
      From: Diane S <dsanfilippo303@...>
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 7:42 AM

      Since I do not live in Georgia where my parents went to school, I phoned W. Ga. College and Univ. Library and asked if anyone there could find my parents' photos in their yearbook for 1940 - and was rewarded with their kind efforts and seeing photos of my parents the way they looked when they met. My mother was just 16, and my father 18. Later, I did the same at the Univ. of Georgia, and not only did I receive photos of my father with his fraternity and class photos, but they were kind enough to replace the diploma that went down with his ship during WWII - and also sent his transcript!

      Couldn't have been more delighted with the remembered Southern hospitality!

      Diane Stark Sanfilippo

      Today my brother and I decided to finally stop in at the library in the town where our grandmother grew up and look for her high school year book photo. We were lucky today and actually found what we were looking for. It is from 1939 and it is neat to see a resemblance between us. Prior to this photo our earliest photo of her is at age 25.

      Has anyone else found old year book photos of relatives? Care to share?

      Here is hers, she is top left.

      http://s63.photobuc ket.com/albums/ h125/xdaysofyout hx/?action= view¤t= yearbookcropped. jpg

      ------------ --------- --------- ------

      http://service. bfast.com/ bfast/click? bfmid=5647408& siteid=18621718

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • K Jackson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 17, 2009
        I had a similar experience. Went to the Jackson County Historical Society in Medford, Oregon. Told them I was looking for High school year book for my mother who graduated 1937. They brought out the original year books. I looked through, and there was a picture of my mother I had never seen. Showed it to the librarian. She disappeared into the back and came out with a huge blow up of the picture that had been used recently in a display of radio history for the county. To see her picture so big was almost like seeing her again, but meeting her for the first time as she was so young. It brought tears to my eyes. They let me take pictures of the picture (even tho the rule was no photos in the library). I was thrilled to have that bit of family history. Kay

        >Since I do not live in Georgia where my parents went to school, I phoned W. Ga. College and Univ. Library and asked if anyone there could find my parents' photos in their yearbook for 1940 - and was rewarded with their kind efforts and seeing photos of my parents the way they looked when they met. My mother was just 16, and my father 18. Later, I did the same at the Univ. of Georgia, and not only did I receive photos of my father with his fraternity and class photos, but they were kind enough to replace the diploma that went down with his ship during WWII - and also sent his transcript!
        >Couldn't have been more delighted with the remembered Southern hospitality!
        >Diane Stark Sanfilippo
        >
        > Today my brother and I decided to finally stop in at the library in the town where our grandmother grew up and look for her high school year book photo. We were lucky today and actually found what we were looking for. It is from 1939 and it is neat to see a resemblance between us. Prior to this photo our earliest photo of her is at age 25.
        >
        > Has anyone else found old year book photos of relatives? Care to share?
        >
        > Here is hers, she is top left.
        >
        > http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/xdaysofyouthx/?action=view¤t=yearbookcropped.jpg

      • Meagan Coggins
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 17, 2009
          That is a great story!  I was able to use the copy machine there to make a few copies of the photo.  I also looked through some of the 1940's year books and it was eerie to look at the Seniors in the Service section, which had photos of all the seniors (and faculty) in their uniforms.