Re: Strickland Family - Florida to start

  • Helen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2009
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "mccgram" <mccgram@...> wrote:

      > ok you have info on Cain, in order to find more, when was he born? and where? I see there are a heap of Cain's at Ancestry, so we need a bit more to go backwards. Also when did he die?(may be able to dig up an obit)
      >

      > >Thank you for replying. I have confusion on birth year. 9-11-1847 (on tombstone) and 9-11-1853 (in the family bible. I leaning to the 1853 because in the 1920 Census for St. Mark, Florida he was 66 years old. He died in St. Marks, Florida 9-8-1922 and is buried in the city cemetery.

      I have found info. that makes me think it was born in New River, Bradford, Florida.

      The story goes that he went to Texas (don't know where or when) and either his wife died or they divorced because he came home with a child. I can't find anything to prove this.

      Again, thanks for responding.

      Helen

    • Tamela Jernigan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2009
        Hi Here is what I could find for you.

        1860 census
        Name: Cain Strickland
        Age in 1860: 7
        Birth Year: abt 1853
        Birthplace: Florida
        Home in 1860: New River, Florida
        Gender: Male
        Value of real estate: View Image
        Household Members:
        Name Age
        Cain Strickland 60
        Mary Strickland 40
        Reason Strickland 16
        Cicilia Strickland 12
        Cain Strickland 7
        Sissy Strickland 4
        Martha Strickland 2
        1920 census
        Name: Cain Strickland
        Home in 1920: Saint Marks, Wakulla, Florida
        Age: 65 years
        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855
        Birthplace: Florida
        Relation to Head-of-house: Head
        Spouse's name: Martha
        Father's Birth Place: North Carolina
        Mother's Birth Place: Georgia
        Marital Status: Married
        Race: White
        Sex: Male
        Home owned: Own
        Able to read: Yes
        Able to Write: Yes
        Image: 1042
        Neighbors: View others on page
        Household Members:
        Name Age
        Cain Strickland 65
        Martha Strickland 45
        Hobson Strickland 19
        Lueller Strickland 17
        Narais Strickland 15
        Casey Strickland 13
        Moor Lee Strickland 11
        Lucy Strickland 9
        Alx Strickland 7 0/12
        Paul Strickland 10 11/12
        Cain Strickland was the son of Cain Strickland and Mary S. Swilley.
        Cain Strickland Sr. was the son of Phillip Strickland and Cathrine Lofton of North Carolina.
        I can give you more on these families if you want. Just let me know. Happy Hunting, Tammy J.