RE: [Genealogy Research Club] Family Tree Maker

  • Kat kief1255
    Message 1 of 13 , May 22, 2009
      In answer to your question, yes you can make several family trees using the same program. Just name them differently. You can also import certain individuals that you may have the pertains to your new family tree from an existing file using the merge/append feature.

      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: has_hotflashes2003@...
      Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 03:11:56 +0000
      Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Family Tree Maker

      If you use Family Tree Maker would you please answer a couple of question for me? Can you make more than one Family Tree on the same program?

      I want to start a tree of my husband's family separate from my family. I had some problems with my application a while back and thought I had lost all of my data, so I am fearful of doing anything very adventurous.

      Thanks to anyone that answers.

    • Forrest Plumstead
      Message 2 of 13 , May 22, 2009
        On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Clark <pedj@...> wrote:

        > Helen: Yes you can have more than one family tree with your Family Tree
        > Maker program. Give it a different name. The exact process varies by which
        > version you have. When you go to open FTM it will usually open with the
        > last tree you had open. Go to file on your menu bar to change to the other
        > tree. If your current tree has both lines in it, before you start deleting
        > one line be sure to save a back up copy of the whole tree under another
        > name
        > and then reopen the old one before you do any deleting. You don't want to
        > have a mistake and lose your data! Good Luck.
        >
        > Clark
        >
        > _____

        In the 2009 version it opens up to a tab called Current Tree. To the left is
        a tab called New Tree. Click on that one and start a new file.

        --
        Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
        PLUMSTEAD-L List master

      • Carolynn Brehmer
        Message 3 of 13 , May 22, 2009
          Which version are you using? 2006, 2008 or 2009? I like 2006 the best.

          If you use Family Tree Maker would you please answer a couple of question for me? Can you make more than one Family Tree on the same program?

          I want to start a tree of my husband's family separate from my family. I had some problems with my application a while back and thought I had lost all of my data, so I am fearful of doing anything very adventurous.

          Thanks to anyone that answers.

        • littledi1030
          Message 4 of 13 , May 22, 2009
            You aure can! Just go up to "File" and open a new tree. I have four different ones going. One is just for info that I do not yet have sources yet to prove a fact. Once I get the info I delete the individual and put the info in the real tree.

          • jamesr23@juno.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 22, 2009
              You do not say what version that you use but if it is 2005 go to file after you open it to the current program in use. at file is adrop down box, click close. go back to file and click new. a new tree area will open up and then you can fill in the information you want. you can accesss either tree by oepning or closing in the same manner. If you use 2009 it open a little differently. I just bought it and I love it but don't know it as well as I do 2005.
              Ann

              Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your business.
              http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTI97yzun9nOjVxTMM9TNxN8tQQqUn5YwrLwUttiwX78S21YWLxD6A/