Birth Certificate

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2009
      Hi,

      I just joined the group. My main surname & stumbling block at the moment is
      Gelette, Gillette, anywhere in the U.S.

      My greatgrandfather, Montraville W. Gelette was born in May, 1884 in Warsaw,
      Hancock county, Illinois. I am trying to find his parents, possibly Reuben
      & Lydia Gelette & then farther back from there of course. Family legend has
      it that Montraville's parents were dead by about 1850, no one knows exactly
      when or where. I have been unable to find the Reuben Gelette family on a
      census anywhere or for any year in the US. Montraville may have had two
      brothers, Philip and Ernest.

      I've tried going to the Hancock county website which is no longer online.
      From what I could figure out, the state Vital Statistics website wouldn't
      have the certificate back that far & I need to go to the county level.
      Other than writing to the county courthouse, for a search & price of same,
      does anyone know of a quicker way to get Montraville's birth certificate or
      birth registration? (ie ordering by email or on a website?) I am in Canada
      so snail mail can take quite awhile. I haven't had much with Family Search,
      but that could be just me.

      I think at some point the surname could have been either Gilette or Gillette
      but do not know when it was changed to Gelette, which is how our line has
      been spelling it.

      I do have an account with Ancestry, so if anyone could point me to the right
      place there, that would be a help.

      Cheers,

      Carol