Re: van zweel family research

  • Tina Stedman
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2009
      Hi! I love doing research in the Netherlands. You can find a lot of primary resources for the Netherlands. The problem is that most is in Dutch so you need to use an online translator to be able to read some it.

      Most Dutch use a very particular naming practice where they use the names of the grandparents and the parents for their kids. It makes it very easy to follow families as long as they stick to it. For my dutch ancestors, they did most of the time.

      I found this marriage record for Johannes Havinga and Judit Tideman.

      Zweeloo, baptisms, marrying and death book (1764-1811; DTB 176), 24 May 1769, page 138 datedate dates: 24-05-1769; 1st proclamatiedatum: 30-04-1769. Bridegroom: Johannes Havinga, born in Groningen; young person; profession: predicant; origin: Zwelo. Bride: Judith Tideman, jongedochter; origin: Coevorden. NB: married at Coevorden.

      The jongedocter just means she was a young woman. I found 2 other such notices in Coevorden.

      As for being a preacher, Zweeloo is a very old location for Christianity. You can google it and read all about. I would suggest researching Dutch Refom churches. I have several of them in my American genealogy line.

      For Johannes Havinga, I found the following christening record from the Netherlands Hervormde Church.

      Name:
      Johannes [Havinga]
      Gender:
      mannelijk (Male)
      Birth Date:
      abt 1727
      Christening Date:
      Christening Place:
      Groningen, Groningen, Nederland
      Father:
      Scholto Havinga
      Mother:
      Gesina Scheuning
      Citation:
      Nederlands Hervormde Kerk (Groningen, Groningen, Nederland), Trouwen 1705 - 1754, Microfilm nr. 109092

      Scholoto and Gesina also had son, Scholoto, christened on 26 Mar 1726 at the same church as his brother.

      I found this information at Ancestry.com and http://geneaknowhow.net/digi/resources.html under the Drenthe internet link.

      I hope that this gives you a start. You had mentioned that the son was born in Germany. That could be easily explained as Coevorden is right on the border of the Netherlands and Germany.

      I will post if I find more information. I did the marriage record of the son, Scholoto, and two of his children.

      Tina Stedman
      Genealogy Research Club Admin