Strickland Family - Florida to start

  • Helen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10 3:10 PM
      Trying to locate information on Cain Strickland Family in Florida. Cain is husband's grandfather, have his info. Need Cain's father's family. I know at one point they were in Central Florida. Seem to prefer Christian names, Cain, Abel, etc.

      Also, trying to locate info. on mother's second marriage. Her name was Gladys Griener Stevens. She married Ralph W. Moore in Pennsylvannia in about 1923 give or take 2 years.
    • mccgram
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12 5:38 PM
        ok you have info on Cain, in order to find more, when was he born? and where? I see there are a heap of Cain's at Ancestry, so we need a bit more to go backwards. Also when did he die?(may be able to dig up an obit)

      • Helen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2009
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "mccgram" <mccgram@...> wrote:

          > ok you have info on Cain, in order to find more, when was he born? and where? I see there are a heap of Cain's at Ancestry, so we need a bit more to go backwards. Also when did he die?(may be able to dig up an obit)
          >

          > >Thank you for replying. I have confusion on birth year. 9-11-1847 (on tombstone) and 9-11-1853 (in the family bible. I leaning to the 1853 because in the 1920 Census for St. Mark, Florida he was 66 years old. He died in St. Marks, Florida 9-8-1922 and is buried in the city cemetery.

          I have found info. that makes me think it was born in New River, Bradford, Florida.

          The story goes that he went to Texas (don't know where or when) and either his wife died or they divorced because he came home with a child. I can't find anything to prove this.

          Again, thanks for responding.

          Helen

        • Tamela Jernigan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8, 2009
            Hi Here is what I could find for you.

            1860 census
            Name: Cain Strickland
            Age in 1860: 7
            Birth Year: abt 1853
            Birthplace: Florida
            Home in 1860: New River, Florida
            Gender: Male
            Value of real estate: View Image
            Household Members:
            Name Age
            Cain Strickland 60
            Mary Strickland 40
            Reason Strickland 16
            Cicilia Strickland 12
            Cain Strickland 7
            Sissy Strickland 4
            Martha Strickland 2
            1920 census
            Name: Cain Strickland
            Home in 1920: Saint Marks, Wakulla, Florida
            Age: 65 years
            Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855
            Birthplace: Florida
            Relation to Head-of-house: Head
            Spouse's name: Martha
            Father's Birth Place: North Carolina
            Mother's Birth Place: Georgia
            Marital Status: Married
            Race: White
            Sex: Male
            Home owned: Own
            Able to read: Yes
            Able to Write: Yes
            Image: 1042
            Neighbors: View others on page
            Household Members:
            Name Age
            Cain Strickland 65
            Martha Strickland 45
            Hobson Strickland 19
            Lueller Strickland 17
            Narais Strickland 15
            Casey Strickland 13
            Moor Lee Strickland 11
            Lucy Strickland 9
            Alx Strickland 7 0/12
            Paul Strickland 10 11/12
            Cain Strickland was the son of Cain Strickland and Mary S. Swilley.
            Cain Strickland Sr. was the son of Phillip Strickland and Cathrine Lofton of North Carolina.
            I can give you more on these families if you want. Just let me know. Happy Hunting, Tammy J.