Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Introduction - New Member

  • JudyAnn54@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5 6:50 AM
      Thank you so much for the information. I will definitely look into that. I
      don't know why I was just thinking that everyone came to Ellis Island from
      a different country. lol

      Judy
      New York

      In a message dated 5/5/2009 9:01:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com writes:

      _Re: Introduction - New Member _
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub/message/12669;_ylc=X3oDMTJyNnNxajY3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzUyNT
      k5NDAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1NjkwOTMyBG1zZ0lkAzEyNjY5BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW
      1lAzEyNDE1Mjg0NTY-)
      Posted by: "cerasuolor" _cerasuolor@... _
      (mailto:cerasuolor@...?Subject= Re:%20Introduction%20%20-%20New%20Member) _cerasuolor _
      (http://profiles.yahoo.com/cerasuolor)
      Mon May 4, 2009 1:46 pm (PDT)

      My Italian family came into the country by ship that docked in Boston.
      They left from Naples. Since you're in New York that may be a possibility. If
      you use ancestry.com and look under Passenger ship listings that may help
      you out.

      --- In _genealogyresearchclgenealogyreseargen_
      (mailto:genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com) , Meagan Coggins <xdaysofyouthx@xda> wrote:

      > Not every immigrant came in through ellis island. And websites are not
      perfect. Once you get through the sites you will find yourself driving
      all over- in the years I have done this I have been to many churches,
      town/city halls, the central library in my county, inactive records (where city
      hall sends the "useless" records), cemeteries, etc. I have written to
      genealogy societies out west and have received birth cert., newspaper records for
      only $5. Just keep in mind that the internet is not magic and you will
      need to do research offline. Look for genealogy societies in your area too.
      I am lucky that here in Buffalo we have a great polish genealogy society
      that has helped with my polish side and I have been down to PA for
      information on one side that immigrated to PA.

      lol

      **************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
      (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000006)

    • JudyAnn54@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5 7:04 AM
        Sharon,
        Thank you for the websites that you gave me. :) I can't believe all of the
        websites that are on cyndislist.com I went to a few already but still
        have so much more to try. :)

        I appreciate all of your suggestions as well. :) I will definitely post on
        the forums as well and go to the other websites that you gave me. :)

        Hope you enjoy your day.

        Judy
        New York

        In a message dated 5/4/2009 8:16:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com writes:

        Judy, You might try _http://www.cyndislihttp:/_
        (http://www.cyndislist.com/) This site has loads of links to websites in literally THOUSANDS of
        categories! Also, another website to try would be _http://www.worldgenhttp://_
        (http://www.worldgenweb.org/) Much like USGENWEB, which has links to US
        states and county sources, WorldGenWeb has some info from other countries. If
        all else fails, (and still I would, & have) utilize the message boards on
        Ancestry as well as Rootsweb and other genealogy websites. It often takes
        longer, but can be rewarding when you get an answer to your query! Be sure
        to post in several as you do not know which board (whether it be a board for
        surname(s), area, etc.) you may find someone who can help.

        Happy Hunting!!
        Sharon