Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Introduction - New Member - Meagan

  • JudyAnn54@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5 7:01 AM
      I don't know why I was thinking that everyone came in through Ellis
      Island. lol I guess because my grandmother came through, I thought her husband,
      my grandfather, would have come through there, too. Nope. lol

      I will definitely be taking trips here and there when I can but I doubt
      I'll be able to get to Ireland, Germany, Sweden and Italy. lol I can look up
      information in the city and Massachusetts at least. I'd like to find out
      where my grandparents were buried here on Long Island so that's a good
      start. I'm not sure where they've been buried but I'm sure I'll find that out
      eventually.

      Thank you so much for the information and tips that you gave me. :)

      Judy
      New York

      In a message dated 5/4/2009 8:16:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com writes:

      _Re: Introduction - New Member _
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub/message/12666;_ylc=X3oDMTJyZGc4ZDloBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzUyNT
      k5NDAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1NjkwOTMyBG1zZ0lkAzEyNjY2BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW
      1lAzEyNDE0MzkzNDk-)
      Posted by: "Meagan Coggins" _xdaysofyouthx@... _
      (mailto:xdaysofyouthx@...?Subject= Re:%20Introduction%20%20-%20New%20Member)
      _xdaysofyouthx _ (http://profiles.yahoo.com/xdaysofyouthx)
      Mon May 4, 2009 4:40 am (PDT)

      Not every immigrant came in through ellis island. And websites are not
      perfect. Once you get through the sites you will find yourself driving all
      over- in the years I have done this I have been to many churches, town/city
      halls, the central library in my county, inactive records (where city hall
      sends the "useless" records), cemeteries, etc. I have written to
      genealogy societies out west and have received birth cert., newspaper records for
      only $5. Just keep in mind that the internet is not magic and you will need
      to do research offline. Look for genealogy societies in your area too. I
      am lucky that here in Buffalo we have a great polish genealogy society
      that has helped with my polish side and I have been down to PA for information
      on one side that immigrated to PA.

      **************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
      (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000006)

    • Meagan Coggins
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5 3:56 PM
        To find out where they are buried you can get their death certificates and it will tell you the cemetery.  Cemeteries are very nice about giving you a map of the place and showing you the lot and row # to find them.  If for some reason you cannot get a death cert., you can call local cemeteries and just ask if your relative is buried there.  It helps if you know what religion or ethnicity they were (ie all my German ancestors are buried in the German cemetery in town).

        Posted by: "Meagan Coggins" _xdaysofyouthx@ yahoo.com _

        (mailto:xdaysofyouthx@ yahoo.com?Subject= Re:%20Introduction% 20%20-%20New% 20Member)

[...]

      • cerasuolor
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5 4:09 PM
          Hi Meagan,
          Glad you could use the info. You might want to check the passenger lists for Philadelphia as well as Boston. You can do that thru Ancestry.com. If you need to do research in New England the NE Genealogical society is super easy to find in Boston.

          Rachel