Genealogy Supplies? What Are You Using? Any Suggestions?

  • JudyAnn54@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5 7:24 AM
      What does everyone use to keep track of information you find and do you
      store them permanently in something? What is everyone using?

      Would like to get some suggestions. Right now I'm using a very small
      notebook just to start off with. I'll probably buy a few notesbooks for each
      family tree and use only one page per person when I find additional
      information on them. I have a few different family trees that I'm looking up so
      whatever I finally decide what to use, I'll have to get a few of them. :)

      Judy
      New York
      **************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
      (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000006)

    • circa_1948
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5 11:25 AM
        I put documents in archival page protectors in a plastic filing case. I also use archival paper and ink pen when needed.
        Since I have thousands of names it wouldn't be prudent to save by surname so I label the files "deaths", "marriage", "obit", "land titles" etc. That worked for a while but I soon ran out of room so I bought a cheap filing cabinet and use that now.
        sunny

        Message 3 of 4 , May 5 12:53 PM
          Go to Myrt@...   She is posting a year long get organized checklist for genealogy.  It is very thorough and interesting.  VJ

          Message 4 of 4 , May 5 3:59 PM
            We have a huge 3 in ring binder with our nicely typed out information on each last name and any accompanying documents and photos follow each name in a plastic sleeve.  This binder is what we show relatives and anyone interested.  We are constantly adding and amending things, so each page is in its own plastic sleeve so we can just print an updated page adn slide it in without having to replace the entire binder.
            We also have two folders filled with hand written notes, cemetery maps, photocopied papers, and just about anything we think may be helpful someday.  Keep in mind that something may seem insignificant now, could be the key to a big dead end.