Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Introduction - New Member

  • Meagan Coggins
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2009
      Not every immigrant came in through ellis island.  And websites are not perfect.  Once you get through the sites you will find yourself driving all over- in the years I have done this I have been to many churches, town/city halls, the central library in my county, inactive records (where city hall sends the "useless" records), cemeteries, etc.  I have written to genealogy societies out west and have received birth cert., newspaper records for only $5.  Just keep in mind that the internet is not magic and you will need to do research offline.  Look for genealogy societies in your area too.  I am lucky that here in Buffalo we have a great polish genealogy society that has helped with my polish side and I have been down to PA for information on one side that immigrated to PA.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2009
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, JudyAnn54@... wrote:

        > My name is Judy, and I just joined this group today. I just starting doing
        > research on my family tree this past week, and I am having a blast. :)> Judy
        > New York

        Judy, You might try http://www.cyndislist.com This site has loads of links to websites in literally THOUSANDS of categories! Also, another website to try would be http://www.worldgenweb.org Much like USGENWEB, which has links to US states and county sources, WorldGenWeb has some info from other countries. If all else fails, (and still I would, & have) utilize the message boards on Ancestry as well as Rootsweb and other genealogy websites. It often takes longer, but can be rewarding when you get an answer to your query! Be sure to post in several as you do not know which board (whether it be a board for surname(s), area, etc.) you may find someone who can help.

        Happy Hunting!!
        Sharon
      • cerasuolor
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2009
          My Italian family came into the country by ship that docked in Boston. They left from Naples. Since you're in New York that may be a possibility. If you use ancestry.com and look under Passenger ship listings that may help you out.