Introduction - New Member

  • JudyAnn54@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2009
      My name is Judy, and I just joined this group today. I just starting doing
      research on my family tree this past week, and I am having a blast. :) To
      me it's like putting puzzle pieces together in a puzzle or finding clues to
      a mystery. :)

      All of my father's side of the family is gone except for my brothers and
      I, his children. I'm thankful that a lot of documentation and pictures were
      left behind and handed down to me so I have a lot to work with.

      Unfortunately on my mother's side of the family, I have no documentation
      and no pictures. My mother and her brother are the first generation born in
      the USA. My grandfather was born in Italy and my grandmother was born in
      Germany. I did go to ellisisland.org and did find some information on my
      grandmother. That was kind of cool. I didn't find any information on my
      grandfather though at that website. :) I wonder how he got here then? lol

      I have been using a few genealogy websites to help me out so far but most
      of the information I've gotten has been from the documentation.

      I was wondering if anyone can suggest some genealogy websites to use for
      looking up important information for relatives who had lived in Italy and
      Germany.

      Thank you so much. :) I hope you all have a great weekend.

      Judy
      New York

      web. Get the Radio Toolbar!

    • Meagan Coggins
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2009
        Not every immigrant came in through ellis island.  And websites are not perfect.  Once you get through the sites you will find yourself driving all over- in the years I have done this I have been to many churches, town/city halls, the central library in my county, inactive records (where city hall sends the "useless" records), cemeteries, etc.  I have written to genealogy societies out west and have received birth cert., newspaper records for only $5.  Just keep in mind that the internet is not magic and you will need to do research offline.  Look for genealogy societies in your area too.  I am lucky that here in Buffalo we have a great polish genealogy society that has helped with my polish side and I have been down to PA for information on one side that immigrated to PA.

[...]

        ************ **Access 350+ FREE radio stations anytime from anywhere on the

        web. Get the Radio Toolbar!

        (http://toolbar. aol.com/aolradio /download. html?ncid= emlcntusdown0000 0003)

      • Sharon
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2009
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, JudyAnn54@... wrote:

          > My name is Judy, and I just joined this group today. I just starting doing
          > research on my family tree this past week, and I am having a blast. :)> Judy
          > New York

          Judy, You might try http://www.cyndislist.com This site has loads of links to websites in literally THOUSANDS of categories! Also, another website to try would be http://www.worldgenweb.org Much like USGENWEB, which has links to US states and county sources, WorldGenWeb has some info from other countries. If all else fails, (and still I would, & have) utilize the message boards on Ancestry as well as Rootsweb and other genealogy websites. It often takes longer, but can be rewarding when you get an answer to your query! Be sure to post in several as you do not know which board (whether it be a board for surname(s), area, etc.) you may find someone who can help.

          Happy Hunting!!
          Sharon
        • cerasuolor
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2009
            My Italian family came into the country by ship that docked in Boston. They left from Naples. Since you're in New York that may be a possibility. If you use ancestry.com and look under Passenger ship listings that may help you out.