re: ancestry.com AND another question

  • Elayne Silvers
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2009
      Thanks so much for your thoughts and opinions regarding the hints on ancestry.

      I have pretty much done what everyone has suggested other than, I did add them to the tree.  Not that i believe that is accurate but to help me start the path of confirmation.  I am still researching as I go along.

      Everyone I know in my family has passed away.  I am sure there are many family members alive out there somewhere.  Just haven't located any  yet.

      Another Question:
      when someone lists their name and address as the source of submission of that information, do you contact that person?  I did but have since wonder if I should have done that.

      thanks for helping me grasp this whole genealogy thing.

      Gracie

    • Meagan Coggins
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2009
        I have found 3 distant relatives by going through the local phone book (I am lucky that many of my ancestors lived in the area I still live in) and mailing out letters to all the people with the last names I am looking for.  I am looking for how my great great grandfather died, no death record or anything can be found.  So I typed up a letter explaining who I was and asked if you are a relative of Rudolph Karnath born in x year, then I would love to hear from you.  I left my phone # address, and email.  I got 2 replies that have really helped fill in some interesting information.  I did a similar thing for another side of my family and got one response.  I eventually met up with the lady and we traded information, she was a relative of my great grandmothers sister.  I hope this helps you, you would be surprised at how happy and enthusiastic people are when they receive the letter.  I was shocked at how a few had done a good amount of their own
        genealogy research.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2009
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Elayne Silvers <elaynewhite@...> wrote:
          >> Another Question:
          > when someone lists their name and address as the source of submission of that information, do you contact that person?  I did but have since wonder if I should have done that.
          >
          > thanks for helping me grasp this whole genealogy thing.
          >
          > Gracie
          >
          > Yes, of course you can contact them! That is a way that you can share information ofline. You maight be surprised that you just may have a piece of their puzzle to fil them in! If they did not want to be contacted, they would NOT have allowed the site to publish their address/email or allowed the anonymous contact through the site. Good luck and Happy Hunting!!
          Sharon