RE: [Genealogy Research Club] ancestry.com

  • Mary-Ann Cole
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 30, 2009
      Sometimes the census is the problem. Looking for more on a great
      grandfather (husbands family) Thomas Joseph Cole was listed as Joseph T.
      Coal. It didn't come up as a hint, but I found it by trying various
      spellings.
      Cole seemed so simple until that department store came along, that was the
      first that I was ever asked how to spell my last name!!!
      Mary-Ann

      From: Elayne Silvers <elaynewhite@...>
      Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] ancestry.com
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 11:18 AM

      I have a question about ancestry for those who use their services.

      Does anyone believe the hints they give or do you use it as a starting
      point?  I am just curious because I have gotten so many hints and when add
      them to the family line more hints show up.  I am just curious on how much
      to believe or just to use it to compare with what I can find on my own.
      Most of my family members are dead.  If there are family members alive, I
      don't know about them.   I can't confirm anything.  It would be awesome to
      go with what ancestry gave as hints because I can trace some of the lines
      back to the kings of scotland.  Anyway.  Just curious on how much to
      believe.

      Gracie

    • Dawn Bennink
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 30, 2009
        Yes, I should have addressed the member trees. I NEVER use them for our
        direct lines. I have used some of that information for VERY collateral
        lines, but make sure that I have it noted that the information is from
        another tree, not something independently researched. I have seen tree
        after tree after tree with ridiculous information that cannot possibly be
        accurate. I've also had people link to my tree who have absolutely no
        relationship to my family or my husband's family. You have to remember that
        for some people, volume is the key, not accuracy.

        Dawn
      • Jody's Genes
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 30, 2009
          I've learned that the hints from anywhere are just a starting point.
          Sometimes they can lead to a long goose chase+ADs- sometimes you hit pay-dirt.
          But as for believing, unless you see the documentation and can legitimately
          tie it in with the facts that you absolutely know . . . then they are just
          hints, or theories if you will, to be proved or disproved. One problem
          online genealogy has had is the assumption of some that because they see it
          posted on someone's website, then it must be true, whether there is a citing
          of sources or documentation to back it up. Then it is posted as true again,
          and the errors keep perpetuating themselves. I've noticed that on One-World
          Tree. So, unless you can prove it for yourself, it is only a theory.
        • ck4evr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , May 2, 2009
            I have been doing research since the 1980's, spent many hours in the library. After just 3 days on ancestry.com I had my husbands line going back to the Kings of France and my husband wanted to know where was his share of the fortunes? Then after 5 days I had the line linked to Jesus. In the space where it says father of Jesus- it proudly states - "God". My husband walked so proud that week! Then 4 days later the line connected to Adam and Eve, I kid you not its on there. I turned around and my husband was trying to sell his royal sperm on ebay! Just kidding, my point is- remember that ancestry.com has it all. The stuff you can use, and the stuff you can wipe with. The fun part is sorting it all out! It does have many documents on file and some family pictures/ stories have been uploaded. Just get a couple of doc's to back up the info before you move on.
            Kathleen