New To group

  • wolfspiritofmine
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2009
      Hi. Name is Karen and over the past few years, off and on I have been trying to do research on my mom's mothers side of the family. I know that most family trees focus on the fathers side...so there is extensive information on my grandfathers side for my mom.

      On my dad's side there is information on both my grandmother and grandfathers side, but I think that is a lot due to my grandmother being a WAC in the Army back in WW2 and stationed in DC, so she did a lot of family reasearch back then.

      The frustrating thing is that when it comes to my grandmother...mom's mom...there was just my mom and my aunt. My aunt passed away 6 years or so ago. I got a little bit of info from her but I also got a lot of cryptic stuff. Comments like "perhaps it would have been better that that side of the branch had been left broken off"?....hints or suggestions that my great grandfather on that side may have spent some time in prison? On my mothers birth certificate it says age of mother at birth, 17, age of father at birth, 33. They were married March of 1928...so grandma was was 15..turned 16 shortly after they were married...guess that would have been a bit of a odd thing.

      My mom is almost 80 and hasn't had any contact with me in over 20 years. I wrote her way back and asked for any information on her mom and her mom's side of the family...anything that would help me in researching that side of the family. My grandmother (mom's mom) died at the age of 32...so I never knew her...My mom was 15 or so when her mom died. A few weeks ago I got an letter from her with some copies of some papers. She gave me some information, some names, and so that helped and got me back into wanting to do more research.

      I'm on ancestry.com...I have come up with some stuff...but I'm discovering it's really hard or like a puzzle in ways. Just one example is my great grandfather ....On my grandmothers original birth certificate he's listed as J.M. Sanders. On an amended one where they changed my grandmothers first name...something I never knew...it's amended and he's listed as Melford Joel Sanders...but I have also seen it as Joel Melford Sanders....and then of course mom remembers him as "Jack" Sanders. The weird thing is I remember meeting him once and for some reason the name Jack is what I remember. I guess that is where it all sorta feels like a puzzle trying to match enough pieces to hopefully get an accurate picture. Early in my search I'd sent for a copy of my grandmothers death certificate figuring maybe that would give me more info. That's where it showed her father as J.M. Sanders. It also showed her as being born in one part of Oklahoma...a place she did live at one point...when in fact she was born in a totally different part of Oklahoma...so when I tried to get a copy of her birth certifiate they said there was no record. Sometimes I'm really amazed that people are able to do a family tree when even going back just a couple generations the information can be confusing.

      I guess what I am hoping is that this will be a place where I can get helpful hints and suggestions in my search. I feel like I have all sorts of pieces and possible connections...some look like they fit quite well...but then I'm not sure how to definitely confirm some of it.

      Need to get some stuff done but will check back.

      Karen
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2009
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "wolfspiritofmine" <wolfspiritofmine@...> wrote:
        > ... On an amended one where they changed my grandmothers first name...something I never knew...it's amended and he's listed as Melford Joel Sanders...but I have also seen it as Joel Melford Sanders....and then of course mom remembers him as "Jack" Sanders. The weird thing is I remember meeting him once and for some reason the name Jack is what I remember. ...
        ==============================

        Found these entries that may help, the names are similar.

        Would suggest you place who,what etc on separate lines it is very difficult to pull out of the paragraphs who you are actually looking for.

        Bob
        ------------------

        SANDERS, John Napolean Birth
        Sex: Male
        Birth Date: 09 Aug 1875 Birthplace: United States
        Recorded in: Cherokee, Texas
        Father: Joel Mumford SANDERS
        Mother: Emily E. KELLY
        Source: FHL Number 1516751 Dates: 1869-1885

        SANDERS, James Monroe Birth
        Sex: Male
        Birth Date: 19 Mar 1880
        Recorded in: Cherokee, Texas
        Father: Joel Mumford SANDERS
        Mother: Emily Elizabeth KELLY
        Source: FHL Number 1516685 Dates: 1869-1885

        SANDERS, William Pearl Birth
        Sex: Male
        Birth Date: 09 Mar 1883 Birthplace: Cherokee County, Tx
        Recorded in: Cherokee, Texas
        Father: Joel Mumford SANDERS
        Mother: Emily E. KELLY
        Source: FHL Number 1516684 Dates: 1870-1885
        ----------------------------
      • Helen Edwards
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12, 2009
          Don;t worry about different order of the names on the census records.
          In one year, my great grandparents and my grandfather (and his sibs)
          all their middle names first followed by the first names. I checked
          others in the same census and the same thing happened. Sometimes the
          family gave the nickname the family called someone. My father-in-law's
          name was John but his family called him Jack. He is listed in
          different records under the two names. Makes for a confusing search,
          but knowing a little about names helps.

          Some people are easier to trace than others. My great-great-
          grandmother can be traced back to the 1400s in England; other lines
          run into a brick wall after a couple of generations. I just keep
          trying and eventually will get the answers. For me the search is just
          as much fun as the result.

          Keep trying - it will work

          Helen Edwards
          Victoria, BC
          On 12-Apr-09, at 6:45 AM, wolfspiritofmine wrote:

> [...]
          > certificate figuring maybe that would give me more info. That's
          > where it showed her father as J.M. Sanders. It also showed her as
          > being born in one part of Oklahoma...a place she did live at one
          > point...when in fact she was born in a totally different part of
          > Oklahoma...so when I tried to get a copy of her birth certifiate
          > they said there was no record. Sometimes I'm really amazed that
          > people are able to do a family tree when even going back just a
          > couple generations the information can be confusing.
          >
          > I guess what I am hoping is that this will be a place where I can
          > get helpful hints and suggestions in my search. I feel like I have
          > all sorts of pieces and possible connections...some look like they
          > fit quite well...but then I'm not sure how to definitely confirm
          > some of it.
          >
          > Need to get some stuff done but will check back.

        • littledi1030
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 13, 2009
            Karen,
            What are the dates,birth,death etc. and what info do you have?
            It is easier to help if we know what you already have.
            Was your aunt older or younger than your mom? If she was older she would definitely be in the 1930 census.
            Do you know that area in Oklahoma they lived at what times? If so a check with the library reference dept for that time to go through City Directories and etc., for info.
            Use your library to contact other libraries through Inter Library Loan (ILL). The libraries are a wealth of information on local history they may have the contacts to any local historical societies as well. If you do not live in OK, your library can be your contact with the OK state library. Through ILL you can request books that a state library would never loan to an individual or request photo copies of info they have.(You will have to provide the info of what you want)
            Have you access to a library that has Heritage Quest? If not there are many online books now available. Or the US Gen Web project, Roots Web, Family History through the Morman site. These are free acces sites where you can get info to help verify sources.

            I hope this was of some help.
            Dianne

> [...]
            >
            > I guess what I am hoping is that this will be a place where I can get helpful hints and suggestions in my search. I feel like I have all sorts of pieces and possible connections...some look like they fit quite well...but then I'm not sure how to definitely confirm some of it.
            >
            > Need to get some stuff done but will check back.

          • wolfspiritofmine
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 13, 2009
              Hi..thank you all for your responses. This is the first time I've tried an actual site for doing this kind of thing and wasn't sure how to put the stuff out there but after looking at some of the other posts and you all's suggestions I have a clearer picture. Will sit down and post the information I have in a clearer way. Initially I was thinking that since I have an account with ancestry.com what could anyone else tell me other than what I have already found...then I realized that someone else might look at it differently or go from some other angle or say "hey...have you tried this" and so different and even more experienced searchers could be a benefit.

              Thanks again and like I said...will post the information I have been able to gather.

              Karen
            • paula_lada
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 13, 2009
                Hi, I'm Paula, new to the group and I live in Oklahoma. If you could please give us the birthplace, year and where she lived also the year I maybe able to help. It was not usual to be born one place and lived in another.Need to know the above info, due to the fact our co's changed and some of the towns are gone. Paula