I have many questions

  • dhartomine
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
      Hello everyone. I am new to this site and an amateur
      at researching the history of my family. I really only
      have info my mother had written in a family bible and
      have also contacted a few relatives (none whom I have ever
      met personally). It is very exciting I've been trying to
      do this for about two years now since the birth of my eldest
      grandaughter. Although I'm not sure what my next steps should
      be without subscribing to ancestry.com, I have one kind of silly
      question. When searching for female relatives and placing them
      in my family chart should I be looking for maiden or married names
      ? I hope all of you will be patient with me as I'm not sure what
      exactly is this best way to go about all of this. I lost my mother 7 years ago and don't know many relatives on her side nor my father's side. I do know I have cherokee heritage and am very interested
      in trying to find out exactly where that fits in. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.
    • Clark
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
        In your family chart you should list them with their maiden names. Since
        their spouse is listed with them, that will show their married names.

        In looking/searching for your ancestors you should look for them under the
        name they would have used at that time. While young, single, and in
        marriage records look for your female ancestors with their maiden names.
        After marriage, look for them with their married names unless their culture
        or family tradition dictated that they go by their maiden name.

        There are lots of places to look besides ancestry.com. And also check if
        your local library subscribes to the Library Edition of ancestry.com. Then
        you can use it for free.

        TIP: In trying to identify the parent's names and information of a female
        relative, if you don't have any luck by tracking your female relative, track
        the records of any brother's and sister's that you are aware of for that
        female ancestor. Maybe their marriage record, children's birth certificate,
        obituary or other record will give you the information you need.

        Good Luck and don't be afraid to ask questions! That is what we are all
        here for.

        Clark

        _____

[...]

        _,___

      • Mechelle Wallace
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
          I was always taught that there are no silly questions....that's how we learn.  I can't be of a lot of help to you, because I have only been at it for a couple of years.  The ones with 10 and 20 yrs. of experience, seem to have the answers.

          Ancestry is quite expenisve, and there are several old posts on the pros and cons of that.
          Before spending money, maybe you can look at the sites that are free first.  The Library has Heritage Quest, and there is the LDS site familysearch.org.  If you look at World Connect, maybe someone has already made a family tree.  Use that tree information as a hint, rather than fact.  Often, people will repost the same mistake over and over, because they saw it on a tree.  In order for information to be proven, you must find a document to support it (such as the census, or wills in probate).

          Some states have online death certificates, and you can get so much information off of that document that it will really help your search.

          Good Luck, but be careful, it's habit forming!
          Mechelle

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
            Good luck with your quest in finding your family heritage. It can be a VERY ADDICTING hobby!
            The best way is to start with yourself and work backwards. Be sure to document you records as best as you can. Where you got the info, copies of the documents (birth, death, marriage, school records, and census records,etc.) The best way is to try to get as much as possible for each person/family as you can at the time you are researching them, and to go about it in a somewhat orderly manner. Most genealogists will tell you to work BACKWARDS in time - from the most current facts of each person back ( ie: death/burial, marriage, schools, birth, etc).
            There are many excellent FREE "how to" articles on genealogy research methods on the internet - Many "Pay" sites still have free areas you can check.
          • Carol Dimer
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 6, 2009
              My favorite free site is www.rootsweb.com
              You can find a lot of sites at Cyndi's List

              Carol