free research sites

  • Elayne Silvers
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2009
      what sites do you frequently visit that offer free research?

      I am curious to know where you are doing a lot of your research that doesn't cost.

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2009
        I dont know where you live but in vacaville california we have a research center at the mormon church that allows anyone to use their computers for free.? they have subscriptions to ancestry and all you have to pay for is your copies but it is soo much easier to work from home.

        what sites do you frequently visit that offer free research?

        I am curious to know where you are doing a lot of your research that doesn't cost.

      • Dawn Bennink
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28, 2009
          I get a lot of information from the databases sent daily in the emails from
          the surnamesearchdaily yahoo group. I've found a lot just googling. The
          LDS site has a lot of information. USgenweb.com has a lot of good stuff.
          I've looked through Cyndi's List sites as well.

          Dawn
        • keenetrio
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 29, 2009
            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Elayne Silvers <elaynewhite@...> wrote:
            >Ancestry does to a point, has does LDS. Find a grave has been a help also. And the most States Archives, are a big help.
            There are several, I stumble across them mostly....LOL
            Lisa
            > what sites do you frequently visit that offer free research?
            >
            > I am curious to know where you are doing a lot of your research that doesn't cost.

          • Carol Dimer
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 29, 2009
              I use Rootsweb, Family Search (LDS), GenWeb, Heritage Quest (through my local library). There are a few others I use infrequently, but these are my favorites.
            • cribbswh@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 29, 2009
                Here is a list:

                http://www.genealogybuff.com
                http://www.genlookups.com
                http://www.surnamesearchutility.com
                http://www.mortalityschedules.com
                http://www.yourfamilyfacts.com
                http://www.genlookups.com/marriages/
                http://www.1880uscensus.com
                http://www.cemphotos.com

                Hope this helps.
                Bill

                On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Elayne Silvers <elaynewhite@...> wrote:
                > what sites do you frequently visit that offer free research?
                >
                > I am curious to know where you are doing a lot of your research that doesn't
                > cost.

                Bill Cribbs
                GenealogyBuff.com
                http://www.genealogybuff.com