Missing ancestor/adoption question

  • xdaysofyouthx
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009
      Hi everyone. After a 1 1/2 years of genealogy work my brother and I decided to reach out in hopes of finding some distant relatives. We met up with one who gave us some interesting information. My paternal grandmother had a half sister. Her mother gave birth out of wedlock on July 20, 1917 to a Ladislia. This distant relative came across the baptism record which lists no father, just says that it was out of wedlock. My grandmother never mentioned this half sister, Ladislia never shows up on any census records. We think she shows up in a family photo at the age of 2. About 2 years later my great grandmother married, the family thinks the husband forced her to give up the baby. What was the common thing to do back then in this situation? Adoption, given to another family member to raise? (though we do not believe this happened). The baby is not buried anywhere in the area or with the mother. If the baby did die why wouldn't she be buried with the mother? Any thoughts please share.

      Thank you!
    • greeneyes55117
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "xdaysofyouthx" <xdaysofyouthx@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone. After a 1 1/2 years of genealogy work my brother and I decided to reach out in hopes of finding some distant relatives. We met up with one who gave us some interesting information. My paternal grandmother had a half sister. Her mother gave birth out of wedlock on July 20, 1917 to a Ladislia. This distant relative came across the baptism record which lists no father, just says that it was out of wedlock. My grandmother never mentioned this half sister, Ladislia never shows up on any census records. We think she shows up in a family photo at the age of 2. About 2 years later my great grandmother married, the family thinks the husband forced her to give up the baby. What was the common thing to do back then in this situation? Adoption, given to another family member to raise? (though we do not believe this happened). The baby is not buried anywhere in the area or with the mother. If the baby did die why wouldn't she be buried with the mother? Any thoughts please share.
        >
        > Thank you!

        hello i hope this helps you from what i know not all adoption
        are open to the public . . and if the baby did die and there was no money . the baby could be buried with out a headstone . and also
        it could be the same for the mother . give me more information on this and i will see if i can help . thanks

      • Synaptic Freak
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009
          HSIERKA LADISLIA JOSEPHINE
          http://files.usgwarchives.org/pa/westmoreland/cemeteries/sevendolors-southhuntingdon.txt

          Well, Id say you got one thing going for ya ...that's a really unique name

          Its all about music, I call myself Top Quark.
          Music Page:
          http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=232115&content=music

          Personal Profile Page:
          http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=topquark

          Interesting stuff: Defenestration, Trepanation (Just imagine, a trepanic drill!!...lol), Synesthesia

[...]

        • Meagan Coggins
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009
            I know where the mother is buried, she is buried alone and no burial record at the cemetery of anyone being buried with her.  I know adoption records are almost never open to the public and I am not even sure if she was given up or not.  I was told that was pretty uncommon at the time and she was most likely given to another family member to raise but can't find any evidence of it.  Thanks for helping.

            > Hi everyone. After a 1 1/2 years of genealogy work my brother and I decided to reach out in hopes of finding some distant relatives. We met up with one who gave us some interesting information. My paternal grandmother had a half sister. Her mother gave birth out of wedlock on July 20, 1917 to a Ladislia. This distant relative came across the baptism record which lists no father, just says that it was out of wedlock. My grandmother never mentioned this half sister, Ladislia never shows up on any census records. We think she shows up in a family photo at the age of 2. About 2 years later my great grandmother married, the family thinks the husband forced her to give up the baby. What was the common thing to do back then in this situation? Adoption, given to another family member to raise? (though we do not believe this happened). The baby is not buried anywhere in the area or with the mother. If the baby did die why wouldn't she be buried with
            the mother? Any thoughts please share.

            > Thank you!

            hello i hope this helps you from what i know not all adoption

            are open to the public . . and if the baby did die and there was no money . the baby could be buried with out a headstone . and also

            it could be the same for the mother . give me more information on this and i will see if i can help . thanks

          • Dawn Bennink
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009
              Where was this family from? That makes a big difference. This is not my
              area of expertise, but I've done some reading on the subject lately.

              Dawn
            • Meagan Coggins
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 11, 2009
                The baby was born in Buffalo, NY.  I have looked in the NYS dept. of health death index for a couple years but have not found her.  The index is not 100%, some people do not show up.  The baby could have died young or lived to be an adult or could be alive today.  Her name would have changed if adopted or married.  So it makes finding out where she is difficult.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 11, 2009
                  Interesting ... I'm not far from Buffalo, NY. Have you contacted the Erie
                  County Clerk? They might have records. Certainly worth a shot!

                  From their website:

                  Erie County Clerk's Office
                  Kathy Hochul, Erie County Clerk
                  92 Franklin Street, Buffalo, New York 14202
                  (716) 858-8865
                  Fax: (716) 858-6550
                  E-Mail: ErieCountyClerk@...
                  Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 am to 5 pm
                  Website: www.erie.gov/clerk

                  Dawn

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 12, 2009
                    I do not think the clerks would have anything that would pertain to her.
                    I can't get a birth return from the library since she was born after 1913 (and any info on that was already retrieved from the baptism record, same for a birth cert. which I would have to prove she is dead,she could still be alive!).  A death cert. is not possible since she could have lived for 80+ years and if she lived to be an adult her last name would change if married and if she was adopted out as a kid her name would be different also.  I looked in the NYS dept of health death index for a few years following her birth but she does not show up.
                    So I do not know where else to find her.  I could spend a day at the library looking for a marriage license but that could take a long time, and she may not have ever married.  I would just like some evidence of her life, all I know now is that she was alive for at least 2 days, when she was baptised.
                    Any other ideas?  I appreciate any help.

                    Interesting ... I'm not far from Buffalo, NY. Have you contacted the Erie

                    County Clerk? They might have records. Certainly worth a shot!

                    From their website:

                    E-Mail: ErieCountyClerk@ erie.gov