Re: [Genealogy Research Club] SSDI Search

  • circa_1948
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2009
      you'd search first and last (known) name. If nothing try it with a midle initial.
      Not everyone is listed in the SS death indexes.
      What is her birth date? Are you positive of the approx year of death?
      sunny

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2009
        JoAnn: Do you have a death certificate that gives a social Security number?
        If so, do a search based on the social security number.

        You might also try Steve Morse's sight that allows you to enter other
        variables. (Try leaving off the last number in case she remarried)

        http://www.stevemorse.org/ssdi/ssdi.html

        Clark

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009
          Some people aren't listed in the SSDI.  I went to ancestry.com and got this information from them:

          Info about the SSDI from ancestry.com:

          The Death Master File (DMF) from the Social Security Administration (SSA) currently contains over 83 million records. The current update reflects the latest information provided by the SSA as of January 2009. The file is created from internal SSA records of deceased persons possessing social security numbers and whose deaths were reported to the SSA. Often this was done in connection with filing for death benefits by a family member, an attorney, a mortuary, etc. Each update of the DMF includes corrections to old data as well as additional names. [NOTE: If someone is missing from the list, it may be that the benefit was never requested, an error was made on the form requesting the benefit, or an error was made when entering the information into the SSDI.]
          This file includes the following information on each decedent, if the data is available to the SSA:

          Last name

          First name

          Social Security Number

          State issued

          Birth date

          Death date

          Last residence

          Lump sum payment

          The absence of a particular person in the SSDI is not proof this person is alive. Additionally, there is a possibility that incorrect records of death have been entered on the DMF. The Social Security Administration does not guarantee the accuracy of the file.
          SEARCHING TIPS
          When you know the information, be as specific as possible to avoid a large of hits. (Large can be somewhere over a couple hundred or so.) If you are unable to find someone you are looking for, here are some things to try:

          Change dates around (e.g. instead of searching for 5 Oct 1954 [10/5/54], search for 10 May 1954 [5/10/54])

          Change years around (e.g. 1984 becomes 1948)

          Use all other possible spellings of the name (and perhaps some that aren't so likely)

          Switch last name and first name around

          Try searching for a middle name as a first name

          Even if you know a piece of information, try omitting it (e.g. if you know first and last name and death date, try leaving off the first name).

          Kathy
          Genealogists never die, they just lose their census.
          visit my family history website: http://dutraporter.tribalpages.com/

        • KATHRYN
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009
            Found this Bertha in WV SSDI could this be her? DOD is earler than you listed

            BERTHA HORN 27 Jun 1896 Sep 1983 24873 (Paynesville, Mcdowell, WV) (none specified) 233-54-6792 West Virginia

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "circa_1948" <circa_1948@...> wrote:

            > you'd search first and last (known) name. If nothing try it with a midle initial.
            > Not everyone is listed in the SS death indexes.
            > What is her birth date? Are you positive of the approx year of death?
            > sunny

          • Diane S
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 19, 2009
              Kathy -
              This is very interesting but there is one other way why a name might not be on the SSDI - at the request of a family member. My first husband, an Army Lt., was killed in 1965, and much later when I 'found' the internet and this taunting gene inside of me that requires me to 'dig', I found not only his name but that of my children, who were still receiving benefits at the time. I called SS and asked them to remove his name! Now, getting it back on has been an impossible quest... perhaps someday I will jump through their hoops and get it done.
              Diane S
              -----

[...]

            • bob gillis
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 31, 2012
                "JoAnn Plymale" wrote

                > Is there a certain way you are suppose to search SSDI? I am looking for
                > Bertha Juanita Reynolds Horn, who died in Cabell county WV in Aug of 1987 or
                > 1989. I know for a fact she died in Cabell county WV, but SSDI doesn't show
                > her when I do a search. I also tried just searching for Bertha and Juanita
                > separately, but all that comes up is a Juanita Horn that died in Harpers
                > Ferry WV. And that isn't her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

                What is your source for the death date and location?

                The SSDI contains only people whose deaths have been reported to the
                SSA. The location is the Last Residence not the place of death. I

                Since the demise or murder by Ancestry of the best SSDI search on
                rootsweb.com, I find the best is Family Tree Legends. I have never
                found anyone in the SSDI in Ancestry
                To see the full info on Ancestry I have to sign up[ for the 14 day free
                trial. Ha!

                Searching for Horn Last residence WV WV death 1987 or 1989 only
                returns two males 1987 and 7 people none in Cabel County. I think that
                her death was not reported to the SSA.

                bob gillis