SSDI Search

  • JoAnn Plymale
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2009
      Is there a certain way you are suppose to search SSDI? I am looking for
      Bertha Juanita Reynolds Horn, who died in Cabell county WV in Aug of 1987 or
      1989. I know for a fact she died in Cabell county WV, but SSDI dosen't show
      her when I do a search. I also tried just searching for Bertha and Juanita
      seperately, but all that comes up is a Juanita Horn that died in Harpers
      Ferry WV. And that isn't her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
      JoAnn~
    • Scorp
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2009
        Did you try a married name? All my relatives that were married showed that way.

        > Is there a certain way you are suppose to
        > search SSDI? I am looking for
        >
        > Bertha Juanita Reynolds Horn, who died in Cabell county WV
        > in Aug of 1987 or
        >
        > 1989. I know for a fact she died in Cabell county WV, but
        > SSDI dosen't show
        >
        > her when I do a search. I also tried just searching for
        > Bertha and Juanita
        >
        > seperately, but all that comes up is a Juanita Horn that
        > died in Harpers
        >
        > Ferry WV. And that isn't her. Any suggestions would be
        > greatly appreciated
        >
        > JoAnn~

      • circa_1948
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2009
          you'd search first and last (known) name. If nothing try it with a midle initial.
          Not everyone is listed in the SS death indexes.
          What is her birth date? Are you positive of the approx year of death?
          sunny

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 9, 2009
            JoAnn: Do you have a death certificate that gives a social Security number?
            If so, do a search based on the social security number.

            You might also try Steve Morse's sight that allows you to enter other
            variables. (Try leaving off the last number in case she remarried)

            http://www.stevemorse.org/ssdi/ssdi.html

            Clark

            _____

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009
              Some people aren't listed in the SSDI.  I went to ancestry.com and got this information from them:

              Info about the SSDI from ancestry.com:

              The Death Master File (DMF) from the Social Security Administration (SSA) currently contains over 83 million records. The current update reflects the latest information provided by the SSA as of January 2009. The file is created from internal SSA records of deceased persons possessing social security numbers and whose deaths were reported to the SSA. Often this was done in connection with filing for death benefits by a family member, an attorney, a mortuary, etc. Each update of the DMF includes corrections to old data as well as additional names. [NOTE: If someone is missing from the list, it may be that the benefit was never requested, an error was made on the form requesting the benefit, or an error was made when entering the information into the SSDI.]
              This file includes the following information on each decedent, if the data is available to the SSA:

              Last name

              First name

              Social Security Number

              State issued

              Birth date

              Death date

              Last residence

              Lump sum payment

              The absence of a particular person in the SSDI is not proof this person is alive. Additionally, there is a possibility that incorrect records of death have been entered on the DMF. The Social Security Administration does not guarantee the accuracy of the file.
              SEARCHING TIPS
              When you know the information, be as specific as possible to avoid a large of hits. (Large can be somewhere over a couple hundred or so.) If you are unable to find someone you are looking for, here are some things to try:

              Change dates around (e.g. instead of searching for 5 Oct 1954 [10/5/54], search for 10 May 1954 [5/10/54])

              Change years around (e.g. 1984 becomes 1948)

              Use all other possible spellings of the name (and perhaps some that aren't so likely)

              Switch last name and first name around

              Try searching for a middle name as a first name

              Even if you know a piece of information, try omitting it (e.g. if you know first and last name and death date, try leaving off the first name).

              Kathy
              Genealogists never die, they just lose their census.
              visit my family history website: http://dutraporter.tribalpages.com/

            • KATHRYN
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009
                Found this Bertha in WV SSDI could this be her? DOD is earler than you listed

                BERTHA HORN 27 Jun 1896 Sep 1983 24873 (Paynesville, Mcdowell, WV) (none specified) 233-54-6792 West Virginia

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "circa_1948" <circa_1948@...> wrote:

                > you'd search first and last (known) name. If nothing try it with a midle initial.
                > Not everyone is listed in the SS death indexes.
                > What is her birth date? Are you positive of the approx year of death?
                > sunny

              • Diane S
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 19, 2009
                  Kathy -
                  This is very interesting but there is one other way why a name might not be on the SSDI - at the request of a family member. My first husband, an Army Lt., was killed in 1965, and much later when I 'found' the internet and this taunting gene inside of me that requires me to 'dig', I found not only his name but that of my children, who were still receiving benefits at the time. I called SS and asked them to remove his name! Now, getting it back on has been an impossible quest... perhaps someday I will jump through their hoops and get it done.
                  Diane S
                  -----

[...]

                • bob gillis
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 31 5:08 AM
                    "JoAnn Plymale" wrote

                    > Is there a certain way you are suppose to search SSDI? I am looking for
                    > Bertha Juanita Reynolds Horn, who died in Cabell county WV in Aug of 1987 or
                    > 1989. I know for a fact she died in Cabell county WV, but SSDI doesn't show
                    > her when I do a search. I also tried just searching for Bertha and Juanita
                    > separately, but all that comes up is a Juanita Horn that died in Harpers
                    > Ferry WV. And that isn't her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

                    What is your source for the death date and location?

                    The SSDI contains only people whose deaths have been reported to the
                    SSA. The location is the Last Residence not the place of death. I

                    Since the demise or murder by Ancestry of the best SSDI search on
                    rootsweb.com, I find the best is Family Tree Legends. I have never
                    found anyone in the SSDI in Ancestry
                    To see the full info on Ancestry I have to sign up[ for the 14 day free
                    trial. Ha!

                    Searching for Horn Last residence WV WV death 1987 or 1989 only
                    returns two males 1987 and 7 people none in Cabel County. I think that
                    her death was not reported to the SSA.

                    bob gillis