Conflicting records - Looking for help, please.

  • Louisiana Genealogy Blogs
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2009
      A RootsWeb Louisiana post is looking for info:

      Joseph Vollkommer who says he was born in 1869 in
      Louisiana. He also says he was born in Mississippi. His father is
      Joseph and mother Lena Schmitt. Any ideas as to how I can find out
      where he was really born. He came to NY and settled in Brooklyn.

      I have 1892 Cenus shows Joseph 23 wife Lena Daughter Lillian age 1 all born US and he is a Tailor

      I have birth certif. for Lillian born Jan 21 1892. Mother Lena Schmidt (also spelled Schmitt)father Joseph and he is born in Mississippi and is an Ice Man..

      Son Joseph is born March 1894 in Brooklyn. Mother Lena born Brooklyn, Father Joseph born Brooklyn and is a tailor.

      1910 census shows Lillian she is born US. Father born in Louisiana, mother in NY.

      1910 census shows same for Joseph. Father is dead.

      I also have another Vollkommer but will post that later. These people have me puzzled. He was not old enough to be in civil war. It is possible he is child of other Vollkommer's who were in Civil War but I have nothing that shows me if they had children.

      There was a George who came over in early 1840's and I know he had a son Joseph but he died from woulds. There was also a son George but from what I have he did not marry until later.

      Unfortunately the name is misspelled . Thanks for any help