Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Matewan Massacre/Battle of Blair mountain

  • circa_1948
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      I have a movie (packed away) here on the incident at Matewan http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0093509/combined
      (The movie was actually filmed in a town in central West Virginia known as Thurmond. This town is located on the New River. It is about 100 miles from the real city of Matewan). I don't remember but the movie may have listed names of casualties.

      Two of the men killed in Matewan that day were the brothers of agency owner, Thomas Felts. In retaliation, Felts had the Matewan police chief, Sid Hatfield, killed when he was tried in Welch, WV. He walked up the steps to the courthouse and met five detectives waiting for him at the top. He was filled full of bullets and then detective Hugh Lucas turned and emptied a gun into the courthouse wall as though Hatfield had shot at them, then placed the gun in his hand after detective Charley Lively had shot him behind the ear to make sure he was dead.

      Of the two commemoratives I know of (the plaque and the flood wall) in Matewan I see no names.

      This Dixie Accord interview for a movie may help a little http://www.wvculture.org/history/labor/matewan03.html I haven't read it all the way.
      http://www.accd.edu/pac/faculty/pmyers/hist1302/1302Theme3.htm#Matewan

      Sunny IBSSG

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
         Dear JoAnn, I found you subject line very interesting so I went searching and when I realized the fight involved coal miners I became all the more interested so I Googled
        Matewan Massacre/ Battle of Blair Mountain and I found thousands of letters on the
        subject and even a couple of video's on the first page so all the information is probley
        somewhere on the site ,If I didn't have the flu I'd keep looking lot's of material to cover
        on Google, good luck...... grand daughter and great,great granddaughter of many coal miners from Wales, Durham,England to Philadelphia, USA, to Indiana & Ohio so the working of the coal mines play a big part in my own family research (paternal side)
        so I wish you luck in your own family root's.