German Migration to Canada 1800-1850 ???

  • Judy Ardine
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2009
      Just curious: I've lost the "trail" on my mother's maternal tail male line.
      Our oldest known ancestor was b: c1814 in Germany. His children were b: in
      Ontario, Canada c:1830-1840. I just wondered if there was a large influx of
      German immigration during the early 1800s to the USA and Canada. My
      understanding is that entry into Canada was subject to less restrictions
      than immigration into the USA and often cheaper transportation across the
      ocean as well into Canadian ports.
    • ksheffiel
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2009
        I have lots of German relatives that came to Canada. Most of them settled in Huron and Essex Counties in the mid 1800's. And my great x4 grandfather (born in Germany) was in Kent county around 1800.