Re: My introduction to German genealogy

  • Tina Stedman
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
      How and what is being cited this way? Is this on a family tree? Is
      this in a book?

      My first thought would be an actual election but they didn't give you
      any way of finding it. They have done a very bad job of citing. A
      citation should lead someone directly to the source. Like in
      science, someone should be able to follow your directions on an
      experiment and get the same results. Unfortunately they did not give
      you enough directions!!

      Is there more to the citation and in what context is the citation
      being used? What time frame are you searching in Germany and where
      in Germany? Who is it that you are researching?

      Thanks,

      Tina

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "genealogynetworx"
      <multiply_genealogy@...> wrote:

      > Tina, Thank you for responding.
      >
      > I have one more question. What source would be called "elections?"
      > in Prussia?
      >
      > Thank you.
      >

      > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Stedman"
      > <tolksteel@> wrote:
      > >

      > > A very good source of information is Church records. They will
      > date
      > > further back than birth or death records. The only problem with
      > > researching in Germany is that what information is available
      > greatly
      > > varies between the different states in Germany. Also there are
      > many
      > > gaps due to the loss of records because of all of the wars. Your
      > > best bet is to visit http://www.worldgenweb.org (may be .com but
      > > don't think so). There you will need to click on Germany and
      then
      > > the state you are researching. That website should be able to
      > tell
      > > you what information is available. A lot of church records are
      > also
      > > available on microfilm from the LDS. You can check their card
      > > catalog to see if they have your German state and local church.
      > Hope
      > > this helps some. If you have more questions, just let us know.
      > >
      > > Tina Stedman
      > > GRC Admin
      > >

      > > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "genealogynetworx"
      > > <multiply_genealogy@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I became interested in my family genealogy after finding a
      letter
      > > > addressed to my grandfather with a postmark from Germany. My
      > > > grandfather was researching our family tree and had found a
      > living
      > > > relative in Germany. I have found a few distant cousins in
      > Kansas
      > > who
      > > > also originated from Germany through message boards on
      > Ancestry.
      > > >
      > > > I was lucky enough to find three more generations of my family
      > tree
      > > on
      > > > line already with what looks like appropriate source
      information.

      > > > What I would like to know concerns German genealogy research
      and
      > the
      > > > types of sources available inside Germany - aside from birth
      and
      > > death
      > > > records and census - what can be considered a common primary
      > source
      > > in
      > > > Germany?
      > > >
      > > > The genealogist who posted three earlier generations (now a
      > total of
      > > > 10 generations) of my family tree cited his source of
      > information
      > > as
      > > > "Elections". I need a better translation of what this means in
      > > > English, please.

    • genealogynetworx
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
        YOU ASKED:
        1.) How and what is being cited in this way?

        This is in a German family tree program online that was translated via
        Google into English.

        2.) Is this on a family tree?

        Yes. The Url constantly changes due to the genealogists discoveries
        or revisions. I have saved a copy that was translated into English
        several years ago.

        3.) Is this in a book?

        No. This is an online family tree in German that has three
        generations of my family tree included. Some of the information is
        incorrect, some of the information has not been proven - hence the
        citation questions and translation questions.

        "Citations should lead you directly to a source."
        I agree, however, it has been suggested that this is one way people
        "steal" others' family tree by copying their hard work instead of
        verifying it.

        4.)Is there more to the citation? And in what context is the citation
        being used?

        The citation is written next to a birthdate or death date in a German
        family tree program.

        5.)What time frame are you researching in Germany?

        1600's to 1800's in Prussia. Rhineland Pfaltz. Wahlen, Prussia.

        6.) Who is it that you are researching?

        I am researching my 10g grandfather.

        PS I have a response from another group that explains to me that Wahl
        or Wahlen means election or elections in translation from German to
        English. This created the word "election" next to my ancestor after
        it was translated. I unknowingly *assumed* that this was a source as
        many of this genealogists inputs have names, dates, locations and then
        oftentimes he places a source of his information next to the date he
        found in order to further confirm his information.

        Google was correct in its translation, but incorrect to the extent of
        confusing Wahlen the town as an improper noun instead of a proper noun.

        Thus the extant of my problem(s)!

        Some have indicated that census also means elections. So I am still
        confused.