Re: My introduction to German genealogy

  • Tina Stedman
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 12, 2009
      A very good source of information is Church records. They will date
      further back than birth or death records. The only problem with
      researching in Germany is that what information is available greatly
      varies between the different states in Germany. Also there are many
      gaps due to the loss of records because of all of the wars. Your
      best bet is to visit http://www.worldgenweb.org (may be .com but I
      don't think so). There you will need to click on Germany and then
      the state you are researching. That website should be able to tell
      you what information is available. A lot of church records are also
      available on microfilm from the LDS. You can check their card
      catalog to see if they have your German state and local church. Hope
      this helps some. If you have more questions, just let us know.

      Tina Stedman
      GRC Admin

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "genealogynetworx"
      <multiply_genealogy@...> wrote:

      > I became interested in my family genealogy after finding a letter
      > addressed to my grandfather with a postmark from Germany. My
      > grandfather was researching our family tree and had found a living
      > relative in Germany. I have found a few distant cousins in Kansas
      who
      > also originated from Germany through message boards on Ancestry.
      >
      > I was lucky enough to find three more generations of my family tree
      on
      > line already with what looks like appropriate source information.
      >
      > What I would like to know concerns German genealogy research and the
      > types of sources available inside Germany - aside from birth and
      death
      > records and census - what can be considered a common primary source
      in
      > Germany?
      >
      > The genealogist who posted three earlier generations (now a total of
      > 10 generations) of my family tree cited his source of information
      as
      > "Elections". I need a better translation of what this means in
      > English, please.

    • genealogynetworx
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2009
        Tina, Thank you for responding.

        I have one more question. What source would be called "elections?"
        in Prussia?

        Thank you.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Stedman"
        <tolksteel@...> wrote:

        > A very good source of information is Church records. They will
        date
        > further back than birth or death records. The only problem with
        > researching in Germany is that what information is available
        greatly
        > varies between the different states in Germany. Also there are
        many
        > gaps due to the loss of records because of all of the wars. Your
        > best bet is to visit http://www.worldgenweb.org (may be .com but I
        > don't think so). There you will need to click on Germany and then
        > the state you are researching. That website should be able to
        tell
        > you what information is available. A lot of church records are
        also
        > available on microfilm from the LDS. You can check their card
        > catalog to see if they have your German state and local church.
        Hope
        > this helps some. If you have more questions, just let us know.
        >
        > Tina Stedman
        > GRC Admin
        >

        > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "genealogynetworx"
        > <multiply_genealogy@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I became interested in my family genealogy after finding a letter
        > > addressed to my grandfather with a postmark from Germany. My
        > > grandfather was researching our family tree and had found a
        living
        > > relative in Germany. I have found a few distant cousins in
        Kansas
        > who
        > > also originated from Germany through message boards on
        Ancestry.

        > > I was lucky enough to find three more generations of my family
        tree
        > on
        > > line already with what looks like appropriate source information.
        > >
        > > What I would like to know concerns German genealogy research and
        the
        > > types of sources available inside Germany - aside from birth and
        > death
        > > records and census - what can be considered a common primary
        source
        > in
        > > Germany?
        > >
        > > The genealogist who posted three earlier generations (now a
        total of
        > > 10 generations) of my family tree cited his source of
        information
        > as
        > > "Elections". I need a better translation of what this means in
        > > English, please.

      • genealogynetworx
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2009
          Wordgenweb.org is a great site, but the information in the
          German/Prussian province is limited. The site offers to post your
          surname research, but the email addy is bad.

          I am looking for an interpretation of a source indicated in a German
          family tree that cites "elections". What is this source, "elections"?

          Thanks for your help.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
            How and what is being cited this way? Is this on a family tree? Is
            this in a book?

            My first thought would be an actual election but they didn't give you
            any way of finding it. They have done a very bad job of citing. A
            citation should lead someone directly to the source. Like in
            science, someone should be able to follow your directions on an
            experiment and get the same results. Unfortunately they did not give
            you enough directions!!

            Is there more to the citation and in what context is the citation
            being used? What time frame are you searching in Germany and where
            in Germany? Who is it that you are researching?

            Thanks,

            Tina

            <multiply_genealogy@...> wrote:

            > Tina, Thank you for responding.
            >
            > I have one more question. What source would be called "elections?"
            > in Prussia?
            >
            > Thank you.
            >

            > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Stedman"
            > <tolksteel@> wrote:
            > >

            > > A very good source of information is Church records. They will
            > date
            > > further back than birth or death records. The only problem with
            > > researching in Germany is that what information is available
            > greatly
            > > varies between the different states in Germany. Also there are
            > many
            > > gaps due to the loss of records because of all of the wars. Your
            > > best bet is to visit http://www.worldgenweb.org (may be .com but
            > > don't think so). There you will need to click on Germany and
            then
            > > the state you are researching. That website should be able to
            > tell
            > > you what information is available. A lot of church records are
            > also
            > > available on microfilm from the LDS. You can check their card
            > > catalog to see if they have your German state and local church.
            > Hope
            > > this helps some. If you have more questions, just let us know.
            > >
            > > Tina Stedman
            > > GRC Admin
            > >

            > > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "genealogynetworx"
            > > <multiply_genealogy@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I became interested in my family genealogy after finding a
            letter
            > > > addressed to my grandfather with a postmark from Germany. My
            > > > grandfather was researching our family tree and had found a
            > living
            > > > relative in Germany. I have found a few distant cousins in
            > Kansas
            > > who
            > > > also originated from Germany through message boards on
            > Ancestry.
            > > >
            > > > I was lucky enough to find three more generations of my family
            > tree
            > > on
            > > > line already with what looks like appropriate source
            information.

            > > > What I would like to know concerns German genealogy research
            and
            > the
            > > > types of sources available inside Germany - aside from birth
            and
            > > death
            > > > records and census - what can be considered a common primary
            > source
            > > in
            > > > Germany?
            > > >
            > > > The genealogist who posted three earlier generations (now a
            > total of
            > > > 10 generations) of my family tree cited his source of
            > information
            > > as
            > > > "Elections". I need a better translation of what this means in
            > > > English, please.

          • genealogynetworx
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
              YOU ASKED:
              1.) How and what is being cited in this way?

              This is in a German family tree program online that was translated via
              Google into English.

              2.) Is this on a family tree?

              Yes. The Url constantly changes due to the genealogists discoveries
              or revisions. I have saved a copy that was translated into English
              several years ago.

              3.) Is this in a book?

              No. This is an online family tree in German that has three
              generations of my family tree included. Some of the information is
              incorrect, some of the information has not been proven - hence the
              citation questions and translation questions.

              "Citations should lead you directly to a source."
              I agree, however, it has been suggested that this is one way people
              "steal" others' family tree by copying their hard work instead of
              verifying it.

              4.)Is there more to the citation? And in what context is the citation
              being used?

              The citation is written next to a birthdate or death date in a German
              family tree program.

              5.)What time frame are you researching in Germany?

              1600's to 1800's in Prussia. Rhineland Pfaltz. Wahlen, Prussia.

              6.) Who is it that you are researching?

              I am researching my 10g grandfather.

              PS I have a response from another group that explains to me that Wahl
              or Wahlen means election or elections in translation from German to
              English. This created the word "election" next to my ancestor after
              it was translated. I unknowingly *assumed* that this was a source as
              many of this genealogists inputs have names, dates, locations and then
              oftentimes he places a source of his information next to the date he
              found in order to further confirm his information.

              Google was correct in its translation, but incorrect to the extent of
              confusing Wahlen the town as an improper noun instead of a proper noun.

              Thus the extant of my problem(s)!

              Some have indicated that census also means elections. So I am still
              confused.