My introduction to German genealogy

  • genealogynetworx
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2009
      I became interested in my family genealogy after finding a letter
      addressed to my grandfather with a postmark from Germany. My
      grandfather was researching our family tree and had found a living
      relative in Germany. I have found a few distant cousins in Kansas who
      also originated from Germany through message boards on Ancestry.

      I was lucky enough to find three more generations of my family tree on
      line already with what looks like appropriate source information.

      What I would like to know concerns German genealogy research and the
      types of sources available inside Germany - aside from birth and death
      records and census - what can be considered a common primary source in
      Germany?

      The genealogist who posted three earlier generations (now a total of
      10 generations) of my family tree cited his source of information as
      "Elections". I need a better translation of what this means in
      English, please.
    • Tina Stedman
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2009
        A very good source of information is Church records. They will date
        further back than birth or death records. The only problem with
        researching in Germany is that what information is available greatly
        varies between the different states in Germany. Also there are many
        gaps due to the loss of records because of all of the wars. Your
        best bet is to visit http://www.worldgenweb.org (may be .com but I
        don't think so). There you will need to click on Germany and then
        the state you are researching. That website should be able to tell
        you what information is available. A lot of church records are also
        available on microfilm from the LDS. You can check their card
        catalog to see if they have your German state and local church. Hope
        this helps some. If you have more questions, just let us know.

        Tina Stedman
        GRC Admin

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "genealogynetworx"
        <multiply_genealogy@...> wrote:

        > I became interested in my family genealogy after finding a letter
        > addressed to my grandfather with a postmark from Germany. My
        > grandfather was researching our family tree and had found a living
        > relative in Germany. I have found a few distant cousins in Kansas
        who
        > also originated from Germany through message boards on Ancestry.
        >
        > I was lucky enough to find three more generations of my family tree
        on
        > line already with what looks like appropriate source information.
        >
        > What I would like to know concerns German genealogy research and the
        > types of sources available inside Germany - aside from birth and
        death
        > records and census - what can be considered a common primary source
        in
        > Germany?
        >
        > The genealogist who posted three earlier generations (now a total of
        > 10 generations) of my family tree cited his source of information
        as
        > "Elections". I need a better translation of what this means in
        > English, please.

      • genealogynetworx
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12, 2009
          Tina, Thank you for responding.

          I have one more question. What source would be called "elections?"
          in Prussia?

          Thank you.

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Stedman"
          <tolksteel@...> wrote:

          > A very good source of information is Church records. They will
          date
          > further back than birth or death records. The only problem with
          > researching in Germany is that what information is available
          greatly
          > varies between the different states in Germany. Also there are
          many
          > gaps due to the loss of records because of all of the wars. Your
          > best bet is to visit http://www.worldgenweb.org (may be .com but I
          > don't think so). There you will need to click on Germany and then
          > the state you are researching. That website should be able to
          tell
          > you what information is available. A lot of church records are
          also
          > available on microfilm from the LDS. You can check their card
          > catalog to see if they have your German state and local church.
          Hope
          > this helps some. If you have more questions, just let us know.
          >
          > Tina Stedman
          > GRC Admin
          >

          > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "genealogynetworx"
          > <multiply_genealogy@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I became interested in my family genealogy after finding a letter
          > > addressed to my grandfather with a postmark from Germany. My
          > > grandfather was researching our family tree and had found a
          living
          > > relative in Germany. I have found a few distant cousins in
          Kansas
          > who
          > > also originated from Germany through message boards on
          Ancestry.

          > > I was lucky enough to find three more generations of my family
          tree
          > on
          > > line already with what looks like appropriate source information.
          > >
          > > What I would like to know concerns German genealogy research and
          the
          > > types of sources available inside Germany - aside from birth and
          > death
          > > records and census - what can be considered a common primary
          source
          > in
          > > Germany?
          > >
          > > The genealogist who posted three earlier generations (now a
          total of
          > > 10 generations) of my family tree cited his source of
          information
          > as
          > > "Elections". I need a better translation of what this means in
          > > English, please.

        • genealogynetworx
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2009
            Wordgenweb.org is a great site, but the information in the
            German/Prussian province is limited. The site offers to post your
            surname research, but the email addy is bad.

            I am looking for an interpretation of a source indicated in a German
            family tree that cites "elections". What is this source, "elections"?

            Thanks for your help.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
              How and what is being cited this way? Is this on a family tree? Is
              this in a book?

              My first thought would be an actual election but they didn't give you
              any way of finding it. They have done a very bad job of citing. A
              citation should lead someone directly to the source. Like in
              science, someone should be able to follow your directions on an
              experiment and get the same results. Unfortunately they did not give
              you enough directions!!

              Is there more to the citation and in what context is the citation
              being used? What time frame are you searching in Germany and where
              in Germany? Who is it that you are researching?

              Thanks,

              Tina

              <multiply_genealogy@...> wrote:

              > Tina, Thank you for responding.
              >
              > I have one more question. What source would be called "elections?"
              > in Prussia?
              >
              > Thank you.
              >

              > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Stedman"
              > <tolksteel@> wrote:
              > >

              > > A very good source of information is Church records. They will
              > date
              > > further back than birth or death records. The only problem with
              > > researching in Germany is that what information is available
              > greatly
              > > varies between the different states in Germany. Also there are
              > many
              > > gaps due to the loss of records because of all of the wars. Your
              > > best bet is to visit http://www.worldgenweb.org (may be .com but
              > > don't think so). There you will need to click on Germany and
              then
              > > the state you are researching. That website should be able to
              > tell
              > > you what information is available. A lot of church records are
              > also
              > > available on microfilm from the LDS. You can check their card
              > > catalog to see if they have your German state and local church.
              > Hope
              > > this helps some. If you have more questions, just let us know.
              > >
              > > Tina Stedman
              > > GRC Admin
              > >

              > > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "genealogynetworx"
              > > <multiply_genealogy@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I became interested in my family genealogy after finding a
              letter
              > > > addressed to my grandfather with a postmark from Germany. My
              > > > grandfather was researching our family tree and had found a
              > living
              > > > relative in Germany. I have found a few distant cousins in
              > Kansas
              > > who
              > > > also originated from Germany through message boards on
              > Ancestry.
              > > >
              > > > I was lucky enough to find three more generations of my family
              > tree
              > > on
              > > > line already with what looks like appropriate source
              information.

              > > > What I would like to know concerns German genealogy research
              and
              > the
              > > > types of sources available inside Germany - aside from birth
              and
              > > death
              > > > records and census - what can be considered a common primary
              > source
              > > in
              > > > Germany?
              > > >
              > > > The genealogist who posted three earlier generations (now a
              > total of
              > > > 10 generations) of my family tree cited his source of
              > information
              > > as
              > > > "Elections". I need a better translation of what this means in
              > > > English, please.

            • genealogynetworx
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
                YOU ASKED:
                1.) How and what is being cited in this way?

                This is in a German family tree program online that was translated via
                Google into English.

                2.) Is this on a family tree?

                Yes. The Url constantly changes due to the genealogists discoveries
                or revisions. I have saved a copy that was translated into English
                several years ago.

                3.) Is this in a book?

                No. This is an online family tree in German that has three
                generations of my family tree included. Some of the information is
                incorrect, some of the information has not been proven - hence the
                citation questions and translation questions.

                "Citations should lead you directly to a source."
                I agree, however, it has been suggested that this is one way people
                "steal" others' family tree by copying their hard work instead of
                verifying it.

                4.)Is there more to the citation? And in what context is the citation
                being used?

                The citation is written next to a birthdate or death date in a German
                family tree program.

                5.)What time frame are you researching in Germany?

                1600's to 1800's in Prussia. Rhineland Pfaltz. Wahlen, Prussia.

                6.) Who is it that you are researching?

                I am researching my 10g grandfather.

                PS I have a response from another group that explains to me that Wahl
                or Wahlen means election or elections in translation from German to
                English. This created the word "election" next to my ancestor after
                it was translated. I unknowingly *assumed* that this was a source as
                many of this genealogists inputs have names, dates, locations and then
                oftentimes he places a source of his information next to the date he
                found in order to further confirm his information.

                Google was correct in its translation, but incorrect to the extent of
                confusing Wahlen the town as an improper noun instead of a proper noun.

                Thus the extant of my problem(s)!

                Some have indicated that census also means elections. So I am still
                confused.