Hubert Heck

  • hecknl
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2009
      Hi, I am looking for Hubert and Margaret Heck, I have a rcord of the
      1900 US Census and found that they came from Germany. It does not
      specify where in Germany. They had a daughter Kate born in Germany Sep
      1887 and next child a son Nicholas born in August 1889 Tarentum Ward 1
      Allegheny, Pennsylvania. Is there any way to find out which ship they
      came on? Since they are all listed in the 1900 census they must have
      all been together. Also is there anyway to find out where in Germany
      they lived? does Germany have a census?
      Thank you for any all help.
      Nancy Heck
    • circa_1948
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2009
        Hubert's Petition for Naturalization and Declaration of Intention are at Footnote.com
        http://www.footnote.com/search.php?f_ancestor_id=3330441&df_ancestor_id=Within%3ANaturalizations+-+PA+Western&query=hubert+heck&submit=Search
        but there is a fee.
        Maybe someone with an ancestry membership can look it up for you. Mine is lapsed and I can't afford to re sub.
        sunny

      • circa_1948
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8, 2009
          forgot to mention-try contacting the city/Allegheny & Pa historical society (in that order). I have gotten many photo copies that way.
          Some I didnt have to pay for and were sent via email!
          sunny

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2009
            The first major exception was that "derivative" citizenship was granted to wives and minor children of naturalized men. From 1790 to 1922, wives of naturalized men automatically became citizens. This also meant that an alien woman who married a U.S. citizen automatically became a citizen. (Conversely, an American woman who married an alien lost her U.S. citizenship, even if she never left the United States.) From 1790 to 1940, children under the age of 21 automatically became naturalized citizens upon the naturalization of their father. Unfortunately, however, names and biographical information about wives and children are rarely included in declarations or petitions filed before September 1906. For more information about women in naturalization records, see Marian L. Smith, "Women and Naturalization, ca. 1802-1940," Prologue: Quarterly of the National Archives, Vol. 30, No. 2 (Summer 1998): 146-153.

            The second major exception to the general rule was that, from 1824 to 1906, minor aliens who had lived in the United States 5 years before their 23rd birthday could file both their declarations and petitions at the same time.

            The third major exception to the general rule was the special consideration given to veterans. An 1862 law allowed honorably discharged Army veterans of any war to petition for naturalization--without previously having filed a declaration of intent--after only 1 year of residence in the United States. An 1894 law extended the same no-previous-declaration privilege to honorably discharged 5-year veterans of the Navy or Marine Corps. Over 192,000 aliens were naturalized between May 9, 1918, and June 30, 1919, under an act of May 9, 1918, that allowed aliens serving in the U.S. armed forces during "the present war" to file a petition for naturalization without making a declaration of intent or proving 5 years' residence. Laws enacted in 1919, 1926, 1940, and 1952 continued various preferential treatment provisions for veterans

          • circa_1948
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2009
              sign up is free
              u can see images here. i saw these (link)... these r just an initial search i did on name only. you can search more detailed.

              http://www.ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=HUBERT&LNM=HECK&PLNM=HECK&first_kind=0&last_kind=0&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1