Re: My Story (and introduction)

  • Donna Allison
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2009
      Thank you ..... we all, especially me, can use all the help we can
      get. I am really stuck on Vinson Walker, b. abt 1756 in VA (The part
      that was to later be WVA) and died 15 N0v 1853 in Putnam Co. WV. He
      married Elizabeth Unk., b. abt. 1782 in Va. Thinking this might be
      second wife.
      Children: Susan Walker b.27 Feb 1828, d. 16 Mar1896, Putnam Co., WV
      John Jackson Walker, Sr
      Then I have an Elijah Walker, b. 1802, V.B Walker, b.
      1835, and William Walker, b. 1840. I don't know where they fit
      in but were living with Elizabeth after the death of Vinson,
      according to census.

      Being fairly new at geneaglogy, I don't know where else to look. Any
      help greatly appreciated.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "togasgenealogy"
      <togasgenealogy@...> wrote:

      > I guess we all have them...smile. Mine started as a very young girl
      > and summer visits to Grandpa's house
      >
      > My grandpa had an old garage behind his house. It was one of those
      > kind that had
      > double doors that swung open, kind of like a barn, and he kept it
      > locked with a padlock. Inside, it was dark, even with the doors
      wide
      > open. The only light was from a single bulb that hung from the
      > rafters where you could see old rakes and shovels and old-fashioned
      > tools I didn't even recognize. The garage was dusty and filled
      with
      > cobwebs and spiders everywhere around stacks of dusty boxes filled
      > all kinds of old books and eyeglasses and dishes and other stuff
      from
      > his life. There were boxes filled with heavy frames that held
      > pictures of people from the past. There were women with long
      dresses
      > and men with stiff collars on their shirts. Almost none of them
      > smiled, and they just looked stern and unhappy to me.
      >
      > When I was 11, I found these trips to the garage with grandpa to be
      > boring. He would always be talking about the people in the
      pictures
      > and explaining who they were, but none of it held my interest.
      That
      > is until one day when I saw a picture sticking up out of one of the
      > boxes of a man in a braided uniform coat with a wide-brimmed hat
      that
      > had a huge plume in it.
      >
      > "Who's that?" I asked grandpa.
      >
      > "That's your great-great grandfather. He was a colonel in the
      Civil
      > War."
      >
      > That was it for me. I had never dreamed that any of my ancestors
      had
      > been soldiers, or that they had ever done anything very interesting
      > in their lives. But now I was intrigued.
      > I asked Grandpa to tell me all about my great-great grandfather.
      He
      > smiled and looked at me over the top of his glasses. I guess he
      > realized that finally I was going to listen to his stories about
      our
      > ancestors, which I did for many years after that day.
      > And that is my story as true as true is and about 55 years ago LOL!!
      >
      > My friends all call me Mrs. B and I can be found all around so feel
      > free to drop me a line and say howdy. If I can help you know I
      surely
      > will:)
      > I do have my own genealogy business but that is separate from this
      > (thought I'd add that before anyone asks what I do for a living
      lol.)
      > But am always ready to lend a helping hand so holler at me and I
      will
      > do the same.

    • Mounts, Michelle
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
        Thank you for sharing such a lovely story!

        Shelli
        Portland, Oregon

        ________________________________

        That is a beautiful story and very well written. It has a
        certain writers flair to it. You should consider ummmm.... maybe you
        could be like the woman who wrote the Harry Potter stories.
        Debra

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
          Mrs. B.,
          I found your story very uplifting. I wish that i would have taken
          an interest to my own Grandfathers stories about ancestors before he
          passed away. I could have learned an unimaginable amount of family
          information. Thank you for your story,
          Bonnie

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mounts, Michelle"