My Story (and introduction)

  • togasgenealogy
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
      I guess we all have them...smile. Mine started as a very young girl
      and summer visits to Grandpa's house

      My grandpa had an old garage behind his house. It was one of those
      kind that had
      double doors that swung open, kind of like a barn, and he kept it
      locked with a padlock. Inside, it was dark, even with the doors wide
      open. The only light was from a single bulb that hung from the
      rafters where you could see old rakes and shovels and old-fashioned
      tools I didn't even recognize. The garage was dusty and filled with
      cobwebs and spiders everywhere around stacks of dusty boxes filled
      all kinds of old books and eyeglasses and dishes and other stuff from
      his life. There were boxes filled with heavy frames that held
      pictures of people from the past. There were women with long dresses
      and men with stiff collars on their shirts. Almost none of them
      smiled, and they just looked stern and unhappy to me.

      When I was 11, I found these trips to the garage with grandpa to be
      boring. He would always be talking about the people in the pictures
      and explaining who they were, but none of it held my interest. That
      is until one day when I saw a picture sticking up out of one of the
      boxes of a man in a braided uniform coat with a wide-brimmed hat that
      had a huge plume in it.

      "Who's that?" I asked grandpa.

      "That's your great-great grandfather. He was a colonel in the Civil
      War."

      That was it for me. I had never dreamed that any of my ancestors had
      been soldiers, or that they had ever done anything very interesting
      in their lives. But now I was intrigued.
      I asked Grandpa to tell me all about my great-great grandfather. He
      smiled and looked at me over the top of his glasses. I guess he
      realized that finally I was going to listen to his stories about our
      ancestors, which I did for many years after that day.
      And that is my story as true as true is and about 55 years ago LOL!!

      My friends all call me Mrs. B and I can be found all around so feel
      free to drop me a line and say howdy. If I can help you know I surely
      will:)
      I do have my own genealogy business but that is separate from this
      (thought I'd add that before anyone asks what I do for a living lol.)
      But am always ready to lend a helping hand so holler at me and I will
      do the same.
    • Donna Allison
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2009
        Thank you ..... we all, especially me, can use all the help we can
        get. I am really stuck on Vinson Walker, b. abt 1756 in VA (The part
        that was to later be WVA) and died 15 N0v 1853 in Putnam Co. WV. He
        married Elizabeth Unk., b. abt. 1782 in Va. Thinking this might be
        second wife.
        Children: Susan Walker b.27 Feb 1828, d. 16 Mar1896, Putnam Co., WV
        John Jackson Walker, Sr
        Then I have an Elijah Walker, b. 1802, V.B Walker, b.
        1835, and William Walker, b. 1840. I don't know where they fit
        in but were living with Elizabeth after the death of Vinson,
        according to census.

        Being fairly new at geneaglogy, I don't know where else to look. Any
        help greatly appreciated.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "togasgenealogy"
        <togasgenealogy@...> wrote:

        > I guess we all have them...smile. Mine started as a very young girl
        > and summer visits to Grandpa's house
        >
        > My grandpa had an old garage behind his house. It was one of those
        > kind that had
        > double doors that swung open, kind of like a barn, and he kept it
        > locked with a padlock. Inside, it was dark, even with the doors
        wide
        > open. The only light was from a single bulb that hung from the
        > rafters where you could see old rakes and shovels and old-fashioned
        > tools I didn't even recognize. The garage was dusty and filled
        with
        > cobwebs and spiders everywhere around stacks of dusty boxes filled
        > all kinds of old books and eyeglasses and dishes and other stuff
        from
        > his life. There were boxes filled with heavy frames that held
        > pictures of people from the past. There were women with long
        dresses
        > and men with stiff collars on their shirts. Almost none of them
        > smiled, and they just looked stern and unhappy to me.
        >
        > When I was 11, I found these trips to the garage with grandpa to be
        > boring. He would always be talking about the people in the
        pictures
        > and explaining who they were, but none of it held my interest.
        That
        > is until one day when I saw a picture sticking up out of one of the
        > boxes of a man in a braided uniform coat with a wide-brimmed hat
        that
        > had a huge plume in it.
        >
        > "Who's that?" I asked grandpa.
        >
        > "That's your great-great grandfather. He was a colonel in the
        Civil
        > War."
        >
        > That was it for me. I had never dreamed that any of my ancestors
        had
        > been soldiers, or that they had ever done anything very interesting
        > in their lives. But now I was intrigued.
        > I asked Grandpa to tell me all about my great-great grandfather.
        He
        > smiled and looked at me over the top of his glasses. I guess he
        > realized that finally I was going to listen to his stories about
        our
        > ancestors, which I did for many years after that day.
        > And that is my story as true as true is and about 55 years ago LOL!!
        >
        > My friends all call me Mrs. B and I can be found all around so feel
        > free to drop me a line and say howdy. If I can help you know I
        surely
        > will:)
        > I do have my own genealogy business but that is separate from this
        > (thought I'd add that before anyone asks what I do for a living
        lol.)
        > But am always ready to lend a helping hand so holler at me and I
        will
        > do the same.

      • Debra

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
            Thank you for sharing such a lovely story!

            Shelli
            Portland, Oregon

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
              Mrs. B.,
              I found your story very uplifting. I wish that i would have taken
              an interest to my own Grandfathers stories about ancestors before he
              passed away. I could have learned an unimaginable amount of family
              information. Thank you for your story,
              Bonnie

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mounts, Michelle"