Stoddart/Stoddard surname

  • gngrbnks
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
      I am looking for info on the above surname--or any variation on the
      spelling. Most specifically, I am searching for William Stoddard b.
      Aug. 15, 1858 d. March 28, 1939. He married Emma Jane Place between
      1882-1885. He spent his adult years in Clearfield county PA. I have
      not been able to determine where he was born or who his parents are.
      There is a family that was in Clearfield County, PA who had a son
      named William, born within six years of mine. That William had a
      brother named Hugh who was a prominent citizen of Bigler Twp in
      Clearfield. I would like to find out if the two William's are one and
      the same. If you can help find his parents, siblings and birthplace,
      I'd appreciate it! Thanks! Ginger
    • kim_donley
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2009
        This looks like a good possibility... Notice Mothers birthplace is
        New York just like what was listed on the 1930 census:

        1880 United States Federal Census
        about William Stoddard
        Name: William Stoddard
        Home in 1880: Lathrop, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
        Age: 20
        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1860
        Birthplace: Pennsylvania
        Relation to Head of Household: Son
        Father's Name: Hiram
        Father's birthplace: Pennsylvania
        Mother's Name: Rebeka
        Mother's birthplace: New York
        Neighbors: View others on page
        Occupation: Farm Work
        Marital Status: Single
        Race: White
        Gender: Male
        Cannot read/write:

        Blind:

        Deaf and dumb:

        Otherwise disabled:

        Idiotic or insane: View Image
        Household Members: Name Age
        Hiram Stoddard 51 Head Married Farmer PA PA PA
        Rebeka Stoddard 40 wife Married house work NY NY NY
        William Stoddard 20 son single Farm work PA PA NY
        Lenia Stoddard 13 Dau single farm work PA PA NY
        Myrtie Stoddard 4 dau single House work PA PA NY
        Amelia Gage 14 dau single PA PA NY

        So far the only other thing i have found on this family is that
        Hirma was in the Civil War and died 4/8/1905.
        Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934
        about Hiram Stoddard
        Name: Hiram Stoddard
        State Filed: Pennsylvania
        Widow: Rebecca Stoddard

        I will look around and see if i can trace this family to see what
        happens to William.........................KIM

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "gngrbnks"

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2009
          I dont know if any of this info will be helpful or not...But will
          send it on anyway.....The Hiram Stoddard that i mentioned on the
          other post evidently married Rebecca after 1860

          This looks like Hiram in 1850 notice brother Isaac
          1850 United States Federal Census
          about Hiram Stoddard
          Name: Hiram Stoddard
          Age: 20
          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1830
          Birth Place: Pennsylvania
          Gender: Male
          Home in 1850(City,County,State): Great Bend, Susquehanna,
          Pennsylvania
          Household Members: Name Age
          Alanson Stoddard 6
          Hiram Stoddard 14
          Hiram Stoddard 20
          Isaac Stoddard 18
          James Stoddard 16
          Lydia Stoddard 12
          Lyman Stoddard 8
          Mary Stoddard 45
          Mercy Ann Stoddard 10
          Richard Stoddard 3

          1860 United States Federal Census
          about Hiram Stoddard
          Name: Hiram Stoddard
          Age in 1860: 30
          Birth Year: abt 1830
          Birthplace: Pennsylvania
          Home in 1860: Great Bend, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
          Gender: Male
          Post Office: Great Bend
          Value of real estate: View Image
          Household Members: Name Age
          Hiram Stoddard 30
          Cornelius Stoddard 6
          Arthur Stoddard 4
          William Stoddard 1
          Emma Coon 22 House keeper NY
          NOTE: Next door neighbor is Isaac Stoddard 25 yrs old and family

          1870 United States Federal Census
          about Hiram Stoddard
          Name: Hiram Stoddard
          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1830
          Age in 1870: 40
          Birthplace: Pennsylvania
          Home in 1870: Nicholson, Wyoming, Pennsylvania
          Race: White
          Gender: Male
          Value of real estate: View Image
          Post Office: Nicholson
          Household Members: Name Age
          Hiram Stoddard 40
          Rebecca Stoddard 34
          Cornlus Stoddard 16
          Leal Stoddard 3

          Found Hiram and Rebecca in 1900
          1900 United States Federal Census
          about Rebecca A Stodard
          Name: Rebecca A Stodard
          [Rebecca A Schuyler]
          Home in 1900: Franklin, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
          Age: 60
          Birth Date: Dec 1839
          Birthplace: New York
          Race: White
          Ethnicity: American
          Gender: Female
          Relationship to head-of-house: Wife
          Father's Birthplace: New York
          Mother's Birthplace: New York
          Mother: number of living children: 3
          Mother: How many children: 4
          Spouse's Name: Hiram
          Marriage Year: 1860
          Marital Status: Married
          Years Married: 40
          Residence : Franklin Township, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
          Occupation: View on Image
          Neighbors: View others on page
          Household Members: Name Age
          Hiram Stodard 70 head April 1830 Married 40 yrs
          Rebecca A Stodard 60 wife Dec 1839 Married 40 yrs
          Murtie Stodard 23 dau April 1877 Single
          Charley Ralph 10 grandson Mar 1890 single

          Notice on the 1910 Census it says 32 for Charley but it looks like
          22 and that is what the Miracode index lists also...

          1910 United States Federal Census
          about Rebecca Stoddart
          Name: Rebecca Stoddart
          [Rebecca Stoddard]
          Age in 1910: 70
          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1840
          Birthplace: New York
          Relation to Head of House: Head
          Father's Birth Place: Pennsylvania
          Mother's Birth Place: Pennsylvania
          Home in 1910: Hallstead, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
          Marital Status: Widowed
          Race: White
          Gender: Female
          Neighbors: View others on page
          Household Members: Name Age
          Rebecca Stoddart 70 head widowed
          Charles Stoddart 32 son single
          Durham Skinner 80 boarder divorced

          Pennsylvania 1910 Miracode Index
          about Rebecca Stoddard
          Name: Rebecca Stoddard
          Birthplace: New York
          State: PA
          Age: 70
          Color: W
          Enumeration District: 0071
          Visit: 0218
          County: Susquehanna
          Relation: Head of Household
          Other Residents: Relation Name Age Birth Place
          Son Charles 22 Pennsylvania
          1 non-relative

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2009
            Kim, is there any chance you could email me the census images for
            1850, 60, 70, 80, and 1900, 10? Thanks! Ginger

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "kim_donley"