Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Western NY hello to Meagan!

  • Meagan Coggins
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 23, 2009
      What kind of documentation are you looking for?  Do you know when they died?  Here in Erie County at the library they have newspapers (for obituary lookups) on micro film that go back into the 1800's.  They have death records on file for NY state: each year has a slide and the names are alphabetized, when you find your name it will tell you the date and the town they died... from there you can go to town/city hall and get their death cert. as long as they have been dead for 50+ years.  This state "database" is not always 100% since my greatgrandmother never showed up on it even though we later found out she did indeed die in the area.  The library here also has marriage licenses, the oldest one I have is from 1920's but am sure it goes back even farther.
      Hope this helps.  And I am not looking forward to the weather again, down in the teens for the high.  Stay warm.