Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Request obit lookup -- Pat Blessington of Longview Washington, Titanic Survivor

  • Jean
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 22, 2009
      Never mind about the name... I found it as soon as I hit the "send"
      button.

      Do you know about when he lived in Longview?

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Kate <chrismomxyz@...>
      wrote:

      > Could this be your Pat?
      > Social Security Death Index
      >
      > Name:Pat BlessingtonDate of Birth:Thursday
      > February  23, 1893Date of Death:February 1986Est. Age at death:92
      years, 11 monthsLast known residence:

      > City: Sweet Home
      > County: Linn
      > State: Oregon
      > ZIP Code: 97386
      > Latitude: 44.3524
      > Longitude: -122.7197Location of Last Benefit Paid:
      >
      > City: Sweet Home
      > County: Linn
      > State: Oregon
      > ZIP Code: 97386Social Security details:
      >
      > State of Issue: Washington
      > Number: 533-05-6009

      found him, but I looked again on Google and found a story about his
      daughter, which confirms my memory of my father saying he had been on
      the Titanic as a boy of 14.

      > I don't know when he died, but he lived in Longview Washington.. .
      >

      > Does anyone have a way to find an obit on him?  I would appreciate
      it and would love to find out more about him.  mg

    • mg
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 22, 2009
        Thanks.  This is him.  I talked to his daughter, only child, today.  She is now 82.  She confirmed this was him.

        I asked why he was not on the lists...he was "undocumented" shall we say, as was often the case.  He survived by clinging to planks like in the movie she said.  He had been in a lifeboat and fell out.

        I am going to try and help her get him on official lists.  Anyone know how?  mg

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 22, 2009
          i found a few accounts if him recounting his surviving the sinking.
          should i send to your email addy? do u have it/ will it help?
          sunny

          I have checked him on various Titanic survivor lists but never found him, but I looked again on Google and found a story about his daughter, which confirms my memory of my father saying he had been on the Titanic as a boy of 14.

          I don't know when he died, but he lived in Longview Washington...

          Does anyone have a way to find an obit on him? I would appreciate it and would love to find out more about him. mg

        • circa_1948
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 23, 2009
            maybe contact the Titanic Hist Soc http://www.titanic1.org/
            maybe something you can look into is here http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/
            Sunny

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 23, 2009
              Thanks.  I will do that.  Thanks evewryone who provided information.  mg  mg

              maybe contact the Titanic Hist Soc http://www.titanic1 .org/
              maybe something you can look into is here http://www.encyclop edia-titanica. org/
              Sunny
              I don't have an obit yet, but I found this:

              Social Security Death Index
              about Pat Blessington
              Name: Pat Blessington
              SSN:

              Recent Activity

               5
              New MembersVisit Your Group

              Group Charity
              California Pet
              Rescue: Furry
              Friends Rescue

              Health Groups
              for people over 40
              Join people who are
              staying in shape.

              Yahoo! Groups
              Do More For Dogs Group
              Connect and share with
              dog owners like you
              .

            • mg
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 26, 2009
                I just found a couple more responses to this request...I had overlooked them.

                He was in Longview as a founder actually in 1923 and I met him probably around 1958..he eventually moved to Oregon, Eugene area.  mg

                wrote:

                Recent Activity

                 5
                New MembersVisit Your Group

                Yahoo! Groups
                Going Green Zone
                Save the planet.
                Your resources to go green.

                Group Charity
                California Pet
                Rescue: Furry
                Friends Rescue

                Support Group
                Lose lbs together
                Share your weight-
                loss successes.
                .

              • mg
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 26, 2009
                  Thanks.  Those were very helpful.  mg

                  i found a few accounts if him recounting his surviving the sinking.
                  should i send to your email addy? do u have it/ will it help?
                  sunny

                  Recent Activity

                   5
                  New MembersVisit Your Group