Family books - beginning

  • Naomah Black
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2009
      I am cross posting this since on every list there are those who will answer
      and most who won't. Since I am in the planning stages, I want all the input
      I can get.

      I am compiling books for the various surnames I am researching. The 2
      largest will be for my parents' surnames. These will also include
      collaterals. I will obtain permission from any 'living' that I list and the
      others will be shown just as 'living'. No addresses will be given for
      individuals. I am 'planning' on having these done by next January.

      I would like you folks' opinion on some things. I know there are things I
      am overlooking, too. I am too far 'in the forest and can't see the trees'.

      1) I plan to include stories and anecdotes as well as copies of photos.
      I will also be including copies of the original written family histories. Does
      this sound good?

      2) My dilemma is�should I also include copies of my sources? Such as
      WWI draft cards, censuses, birth and death certificates, and marriage
      licenses.

      I will be using footnotes anyway. I am kind of leaning toward including
      census and military items, but not the birth, death, and marriage unless 100
      years or older.

      3) Should I have the copies worked in at the proper places in the books
      or should I have them all together at the end of each chapter?

      Or would having all that stuff in a book detract from it?

      Anything else I have not thought of?

      I have a copy of a genealogy book for my husband's paternal grandmother's
      side. It is hard bound and includes photos. Since it was originally
      written in 1916 it does not include any other documents. It is the only
      nice one I have to go by. I have seen several others in the genealogy rooms
      at the libraries; some good, some not so good.

      I really want these to reflect all the work I have put into them and be
      something that can be handed down and may save some future genealogist from
      a few gray hairs.

      I look forward to your input.

      Naomah

      taphophilia, noun, from the Greek word taphos meaning grave; a love for
      funerals, graves, cemeteries

      http://naomah.tribalpages.com/

      www.LegacyFamilyTree.com

    • Meagan Coggins
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 21, 2009
        What you have described sounds very nice.� I have a "working" ancestry book.� I have a huge 3 ring binder which clear pages that I can insert sheets of paper, photos, and documents.� I have a sheet for each last name and person that lists a brief history with facts, a listing of children, and at the end of each last name some "notworthy family facts." At the end of each family "chapter" I inserted all of the documents I have (death/birth cert., photos, marriage licenses, etc).� The reason I used the clear sheets is so when I find new or conflicting information I can change just that page, reprint it and slip it into the book.� Even though I am a couple years into this I keep finding new information so it makes it easy to correct or add things.� Not sure if this helped but nice to hear how others have compiled all their information.� Good luck!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 21, 2009
          You book sounds fantastic!� Just my opinion, but I think I would put census, and other type of forms in the back of the book.� I think they would distract from the flow of the stories etc.

          Good Luck!

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 21, 2009
            I have a unbound book a cousin prepared for my husbands family.� She had condinced family group sheets.� then she talks about that family.� she includes copies of the documents as she talkes about them.� She did not include census records She did include the infromation copied from the census records.� This was done in the mid 1990's.� At the end of the written part she printed the pages from her gen. program.� She did back about four generation from me.� That means 3or 4 living gens.� We were not asked but only family members were give one of the 13 original copies.� We were given premission to copy all were wanted.� Carol only charged for the coping.� and we only share with fmily.� I ahve cooied the story part and placed it in the two local library where most of the old family lived.�