Re: Family History Program?

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "fellow_puzzler"
      <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

      > Hi all..
      >
      > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
      download
      > free?
      > thanks
      > Paul..

      What type of family history program are you looking for? and how
      involved do you want to get?? Legacy Family Tree has a free
      downloadable version
      http://www.legacyfamilytree.com
      as does the LDS site
      http://www.familysearch.org
      for their free version of PAF (personal ancestral file)
      Both of these are for windows operating systems. there are others for
      Macs.
      Hope this helps, Good luck

      Sharon
    • Naomah Black
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
        I used the free version of Legacy for years and finally upgraded a couple
        years ago.
        I was very happy with the free version and the only other program I think I
        ever want to try would be Master Genealogist.

        The link for Legacy is below.

        Naomah

        taphophilia, noun, from the Greek word taphos meaning grave; a love for
        funerals, graves, cemeteries

        http://naomah.tribalpages.com/

        www.LegacyFamilyTree.com

        On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 6:24 AM, fellow_puzzler <
        blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

        > Hi all..
        >
        > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can download
        > free?
        > thanks
        > Paul..

      • hiflyte
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
          PAF at the LDS website
          http://tinyurl.com/p2x93

          Bob
          Cdn
        • Mary Lou
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
            I love www.tribalpages.com and you can up or download some photos...
            you can upgrade by paying some money but you dont have to. My husband has one and he upgraded and loves it. I havent upgraded yet but soon will.....it is fantastic..and all your info is online not on the computer should it crash...check it out!
            Good luck!
            Mary Lou

            > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
            download
            > free?
            > thanks
            > Paul..

            What type of family history program are you looking for? and how
            involved do you want to get?? Legacy Family Tree has a free
            downloadable version
            http://www.legacyfa milytree. com
            as does the LDS site
            http://www.familyse arch.org
            for their free version of PAF (personal ancestral file)
            Both of these are for windows operating systems. there are others for
            Macs.
            Hope this helps, Good luck

            Sharon

          • Diane S
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
              RootsMagic is not testing their beta version 4 right now - anyone purchasing the most current edition will receive version 4 for free... this is a very user friendly, yet complete program which does amazing things - color coding being only one of my favorites.
              This program dates back to the old Family Origins for Windows and the CompuServe Genealogy forums where I first downloaded it for free. The group of this forum were among the elite and first of internet researchers to include Dick Eastwood, etal.
              This is inexpensive but serious software for beginners and advanced alike - I tried Legacy and it did not hold a candle to this program, nor did FTM, which would not merge large families...
              Try the demo - I think you will like it!
              Diane S Sanfilippo
              http://www.RootsMagic.com

              Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Family History Program?

              blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

              > Hi all..
              >
              > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can download
              > free?
              > thanks
              > Paul..

            • James Doyle
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
                A program that I use is MyHeritage.com

                The program offers the user two venues: First, a tree builder - which is easy to use, and can only be used by the program owner.  At the same time, all the information you enter into this tree builder is downloaded to a webpage to which you may invite family members and friends of the family.  At the website, viewers can see the information you entered in the tree builder, all the photographs, documents, etc...  They can leave messages, communicate with others and enter other personal information on the webpage.  There are various stages of membership.  The program is free of charge and doesn't start to cost you anything until you want to expand the information and photos.  Then there are levels at which you can increase -- and I did not find the charges to be all that bad.  Give it a look over -- you may want to consider it.  Fiona has seen my webpage on it -- maybe she can add her two cents from that perspective.

                James

                P.S.  I also dabble with the Family Tree builder on Ancestry.  I just don't want to take the time to transfer all my information over to another program -- and Ancestry.com, while an excellent resource, is more expensive in my estimation.

                James T. Doyle
                197 Crowley Avenue
                P.O. Box 981
                Buffalo, NY 14207-0981
                doylefamilyusa@...
                1+ 716 877-3074

                From: fellow_puzzler <blighty_fellow@ btinternet. com>
                To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com
                Date: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 3:24 AM

                Hi all..

                Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can download
                free?
                thanks
                Paul..

              • Paul Garwood
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 14, 2009
                  Many thanks for the info on Legacy, I will download it and see how I get on
                  .
                  Regards
                  Paul..

                  > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
                  download
                  > free?
                  > thanks
                  > Paul..

                  What type of family history program are you looking for? and how
                  involved do you want to get?? Legacy Family Tree has a free
                  downloadable version
                  http://www.legacyfamilytree.com
                  as does the LDS site
                  http://www.familysearch.org
                  for their free version of PAF (personal ancestral file)
                  Both of these are for windows operating systems. there are others for
                  Macs.
                  Hope this helps, Good luck

                  Sharon

                • Phillip
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 18, 2009
                    Yes Paul you might try Legacy Family Tree. The free download is at
                    www.legacyfamilytree.com
                    Good luck and God bless,
                    Phil

                    <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all..
                    >
                    > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
                    download
                    > free?
                    > thanks
                    > Paul..

                  • Shelby Torres
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 18, 2009
                      I down loaded Legacy and was wondering if there is a way to import you exixsting tree to there?

                      Shelby W Torres

                      <blighty_fellow@ ...> wrote:

                      > Hi all..
                      >
                      > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
                      download
                      > free?
                      > thanks
                      > Paul..

                    • Jody's Genes
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 19, 2009
                        Yes, there is. Just go to File, Import From and go from there. I never have
                        a problem importing any gedcom or any other family file into Legacy.

                        Have fun and good luck. If you have any more questions, we're here, as well
                        as the Legacy website. That can be very helpful.

                        Jody Keiser in KS
                      • Phillip
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 20, 2009
                          Shelby,
                          Export your file as a GEDCOM from your present software to your
                          PC desktop. Once this is done you can import it into legacy. There
                          are other ways but this is probably the simplest.
                          Phil

                          -- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Shelby Torres
                          <shelbywtorres@...> wrote:

                          > I down loaded Legacy and was wondering if there is a way to import
                          you exixsting tree to there?

                          > Shelby W Torres

                        • Shelby Torres
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 20, 2009
                            I guess I'm alittle slow. My tree is on ancesty com. So how would you go about doing that?

                            Shelby W Torres

                            <shelbywtorres@ ...> wrote:

                            > I down loaded Legacy and was wondering if there is a way to import
                            you exixsting tree to there?

                            > Shelby W Torres

                          • Gwen Hopkins
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 21, 2009
                              go to manage my tree in ancestry. you should see where you can export from there.