Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Family History Program?

  • sheila
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
      Ancestry's " Family Tree" is good-
      One Great Family site has one
      just type in Family Tree downloads in browser &* see what you get there.

      God Bless you & yours
        Sheila

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "fellow_puzzler"
        <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

        > Hi all..
        >
        > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
        download
        > free?
        > thanks
        > Paul..

        What type of family history program are you looking for? and how
        involved do you want to get?? Legacy Family Tree has a free
        downloadable version
        http://www.legacyfamilytree.com
        as does the LDS site
        http://www.familysearch.org
        for their free version of PAF (personal ancestral file)
        Both of these are for windows operating systems. there are others for
        Macs.
        Hope this helps, Good luck

        Sharon
      • Naomah Black
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
          I used the free version of Legacy for years and finally upgraded a couple
          years ago.
          I was very happy with the free version and the only other program I think I
          ever want to try would be Master Genealogist.

          The link for Legacy is below.

          Naomah

          taphophilia, noun, from the Greek word taphos meaning grave; a love for
          funerals, graves, cemeteries

          http://naomah.tribalpages.com/

          www.LegacyFamilyTree.com

          On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 6:24 AM, fellow_puzzler <
          blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

          > Hi all..
          >
          > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can download
          > free?
          > thanks
          > Paul..

        • hiflyte
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
            PAF at the LDS website
            http://tinyurl.com/p2x93

            Bob
            Cdn
          • Mary Lou
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
              I love www.tribalpages.com and you can up or download some photos...
              you can upgrade by paying some money but you dont have to. My husband has one and he upgraded and loves it. I havent upgraded yet but soon will.....it is fantastic..and all your info is online not on the computer should it crash...check it out!
              Good luck!
              Mary Lou

              > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
              download
              > free?
              > thanks
              > Paul..

              What type of family history program are you looking for? and how
              involved do you want to get?? Legacy Family Tree has a free
              downloadable version
              http://www.legacyfa milytree. com
              as does the LDS site
              http://www.familyse arch.org
              for their free version of PAF (personal ancestral file)
              Both of these are for windows operating systems. there are others for
              Macs.
              Hope this helps, Good luck

              Sharon

            • Diane S
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
                RootsMagic is not testing their beta version 4 right now - anyone purchasing the most current edition will receive version 4 for free... this is a very user friendly, yet complete program which does amazing things - color coding being only one of my favorites.
                This program dates back to the old Family Origins for Windows and the CompuServe Genealogy forums where I first downloaded it for free. The group of this forum were among the elite and first of internet researchers to include Dick Eastwood, etal.
                This is inexpensive but serious software for beginners and advanced alike - I tried Legacy and it did not hold a candle to this program, nor did FTM, which would not merge large families...
                Try the demo - I think you will like it!
                Diane S Sanfilippo
                http://www.RootsMagic.com

                blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

                > Hi all..
                >
                > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can download
                > free?
                > thanks
                > Paul..

              • James Doyle
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
                  A program that I use is MyHeritage.com

                  The program offers the user two venues: First, a tree builder - which is easy to use, and can only be used by the program owner.  At the same time, all the information you enter into this tree builder is downloaded to a webpage to which you may invite family members and friends of the family.  At the website, viewers can see the information you entered in the tree builder, all the photographs, documents, etc...  They can leave messages, communicate with others and enter other personal information on the webpage.  There are various stages of membership.  The program is free of charge and doesn't start to cost you anything until you want to expand the information and photos.  Then there are levels at which you can increase -- and I did not find the charges to be all that bad.  Give it a look over -- you may want to consider it.  Fiona has seen my webpage on it -- maybe she can add her two cents from that perspective.

                  James

                  P.S.  I also dabble with the Family Tree builder on Ancestry.  I just don't want to take the time to transfer all my information over to another program -- and Ancestry.com, while an excellent resource, is more expensive in my estimation.

                  James T. Doyle
                  197 Crowley Avenue
                  P.O. Box 981
                  Buffalo, NY 14207-0981
                  doylefamilyusa@...
                  1+ 716 877-3074

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 14, 2009
                    Many thanks for the info on Legacy, I will download it and see how I get on
                    .
                    Regards
                    Paul..

                    > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
                    download
                    > free?
                    > thanks
                    > Paul..

                    What type of family history program are you looking for? and how
                    involved do you want to get?? Legacy Family Tree has a free
                    downloadable version
                    http://www.legacyfamilytree.com
                    as does the LDS site
                    http://www.familysearch.org
                    for their free version of PAF (personal ancestral file)
                    Both of these are for windows operating systems. there are others for
                    Macs.
                    Hope this helps, Good luck

                    Sharon

                  • Phillip
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 18, 2009
                      Yes Paul you might try Legacy Family Tree. The free download is at
                      www.legacyfamilytree.com
                      Good luck and God bless,
                      Phil

                      <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all..
                      >
                      > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
                      download
                      > free?
                      > thanks
                      > Paul..

                    • Shelby Torres
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 18, 2009
                        I down loaded Legacy and was wondering if there is a way to import you exixsting tree to there?

                        Shelby W Torres

                        <blighty_fellow@ ...> wrote:

                        > Hi all..
                        >
                        > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
                        download
                        > free?
                        > thanks
                        > Paul..

                      • Jody's Genes
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 19, 2009
                          Yes, there is. Just go to File, Import From and go from there. I never have
                          a problem importing any gedcom or any other family file into Legacy.

                          Have fun and good luck. If you have any more questions, we're here, as well
                          as the Legacy website. That can be very helpful.

                          Jody Keiser in KS
                        • Phillip
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 20, 2009
                            Shelby,
                            Export your file as a GEDCOM from your present software to your
                            PC desktop. Once this is done you can import it into legacy. There
                            are other ways but this is probably the simplest.
                            Phil

                            -- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Shelby Torres
                            <shelbywtorres@...> wrote:

                            > I down loaded Legacy and was wondering if there is a way to import
                            you exixsting tree to there?

                            > Shelby W Torres

                          • Shelby Torres
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 20, 2009
                              I guess I'm alittle slow. My tree is on ancesty com. So how would you go about doing that?

                              Shelby W Torres

                              <shelbywtorres@ ...> wrote:

                              > I down loaded Legacy and was wondering if there is a way to import
                              you exixsting tree to there?

                              > Shelby W Torres

                            • Gwen Hopkins
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 21, 2009
                                go to manage my tree in ancestry. you should see where you can export from there.