Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Family History Program?

  • Joseph
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
      fellow_puzzler wrote:
      > Hi all..
      >
      > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can download
      > free?
      > thanks
      > Paul..

      Paul, I like Legacy.

      --

      Joseph

      Beth Shalom, Inc: http://e-pops.org/
      Great-Granddaughter: http://e-pops.org/fam/
      Blue Dogwood: http://bluedogwoodband.com/
      BD's CD Albums: http://bluedogwoodband.com/albums.html
    • Kathy P
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
        Here's a cut and paste from Cyndislist.com
        She also lists a couple of sites that compare  the various genealogy software.
        Free Genealogy Software

        Download - SmartGenealogy
        A freeware genealogy program, SmartGenealogy runs under Windows 95-98-XP-NT.
        Family Tree Builder
        For Windows, supports 21 languages.
        Legacy Family Tree Genealogy Software
        Download Legacy 6.0. For Window 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, or Vista (Legacy will run on newer Macs with Parallel, Bootcamp or Fusion.)
        LifeLines Genealogy Software
        Free software for the Unix platforms (eg. Linux) and Windows.
        PAF - Personal Ancestral File

        Kathy
        Genealogists never die, they just lose their census.
        visit my family history website: http://dutraporter.tribalpages.com/

      • sheila
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
          Ancestry's " Family Tree" is good-
          One Great Family site has one
          just type in Family Tree downloads in browser &* see what you get there.

          God Bless you & yours
            Sheila

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "fellow_puzzler"
            <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

            > Hi all..
            >
            > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
            download
            > free?
            > thanks
            > Paul..

            What type of family history program are you looking for? and how
            involved do you want to get?? Legacy Family Tree has a free
            downloadable version
            http://www.legacyfamilytree.com
            as does the LDS site
            http://www.familysearch.org
            for their free version of PAF (personal ancestral file)
            Both of these are for windows operating systems. there are others for
            Macs.
            Hope this helps, Good luck

            Sharon
          • Naomah Black
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
              I used the free version of Legacy for years and finally upgraded a couple
              years ago.
              I was very happy with the free version and the only other program I think I
              ever want to try would be Master Genealogist.

              The link for Legacy is below.

              Naomah

              taphophilia, noun, from the Greek word taphos meaning grave; a love for
              funerals, graves, cemeteries

              http://naomah.tribalpages.com/

              www.LegacyFamilyTree.com

              On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 6:24 AM, fellow_puzzler <
              blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

              > Hi all..
              >
              > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can download
              > free?
              > thanks
              > Paul..

            • hiflyte
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
                PAF at the LDS website
                http://tinyurl.com/p2x93

                Bob
                Cdn
              • Mary Lou
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
                  I love www.tribalpages.com and you can up or download some photos...
                  you can upgrade by paying some money but you dont have to. My husband has one and he upgraded and loves it. I havent upgraded yet but soon will.....it is fantastic..and all your info is online not on the computer should it crash...check it out!
                  Good luck!
                  Mary Lou

                  > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
                  download
                  > free?
                  > thanks
                  > Paul..

                  What type of family history program are you looking for? and how
                  involved do you want to get?? Legacy Family Tree has a free
                  downloadable version
                  http://www.legacyfa milytree. com
                  as does the LDS site
                  http://www.familyse arch.org
                  for their free version of PAF (personal ancestral file)
                  Both of these are for windows operating systems. there are others for
                  Macs.
                  Hope this helps, Good luck

                  Sharon

                • Diane S
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
                    RootsMagic is not testing their beta version 4 right now - anyone purchasing the most current edition will receive version 4 for free... this is a very user friendly, yet complete program which does amazing things - color coding being only one of my favorites.
                    This program dates back to the old Family Origins for Windows and the CompuServe Genealogy forums where I first downloaded it for free. The group of this forum were among the elite and first of internet researchers to include Dick Eastwood, etal.
                    This is inexpensive but serious software for beginners and advanced alike - I tried Legacy and it did not hold a candle to this program, nor did FTM, which would not merge large families...
                    Try the demo - I think you will like it!
                    Diane S Sanfilippo
                    http://www.RootsMagic.com

                    blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all..
                    >
                    > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can download
                    > free?
                    > thanks
                    > Paul..

                  • James Doyle
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
                      A program that I use is MyHeritage.com

                      The program offers the user two venues: First, a tree builder - which is easy to use, and can only be used by the program owner.  At the same time, all the information you enter into this tree builder is downloaded to a webpage to which you may invite family members and friends of the family.  At the website, viewers can see the information you entered in the tree builder, all the photographs, documents, etc...  They can leave messages, communicate with others and enter other personal information on the webpage.  There are various stages of membership.  The program is free of charge and doesn't start to cost you anything until you want to expand the information and photos.  Then there are levels at which you can increase -- and I did not find the charges to be all that bad.  Give it a look over -- you may want to consider it.  Fiona has seen my webpage on it -- maybe she can add her two cents from that perspective.

                      James

                      P.S.  I also dabble with the Family Tree builder on Ancestry.  I just don't want to take the time to transfer all my information over to another program -- and Ancestry.com, while an excellent resource, is more expensive in my estimation.

                      James T. Doyle
                      197 Crowley Avenue
                      P.O. Box 981
                      Buffalo, NY 14207-0981
                      doylefamilyusa@...
                      1+ 716 877-3074

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 14, 2009
                        Many thanks for the info on Legacy, I will download it and see how I get on
                        .
                        Regards
                        Paul..

                        > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
                        download
                        > free?
                        > thanks
                        > Paul..

                        What type of family history program are you looking for? and how
                        involved do you want to get?? Legacy Family Tree has a free
                        downloadable version
                        http://www.legacyfamilytree.com
                        as does the LDS site
                        http://www.familysearch.org
                        for their free version of PAF (personal ancestral file)
                        Both of these are for windows operating systems. there are others for
                        Macs.
                        Hope this helps, Good luck

                        Sharon

                      • Phillip
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 18, 2009
                          Yes Paul you might try Legacy Family Tree. The free download is at
                          www.legacyfamilytree.com
                          Good luck and God bless,
                          Phil

                          <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all..
                          >
                          > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
                          download
                          > free?
                          > thanks
                          > Paul..

                        • Shelby Torres
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 18, 2009
                            I down loaded Legacy and was wondering if there is a way to import you exixsting tree to there?

                            Shelby W Torres

                            <blighty_fellow@ ...> wrote:

                            > Hi all..
                            >
                            > Please does anyone know of a good family histoy program I can
                            download
                            > free?
                            > thanks
                            > Paul..

                          • Jody's Genes
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 19, 2009
                              Yes, there is. Just go to File, Import From and go from there. I never have
                              a problem importing any gedcom or any other family file into Legacy.

                              Have fun and good luck. If you have any more questions, we're here, as well
                              as the Legacy website. That can be very helpful.

                              Jody Keiser in KS
                            • Phillip
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 20, 2009
                                Shelby,
                                Export your file as a GEDCOM from your present software to your
                                PC desktop. Once this is done you can import it into legacy. There
                                are other ways but this is probably the simplest.
                                Phil

                                -- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Shelby Torres
                                <shelbywtorres@...> wrote:

                                > I down loaded Legacy and was wondering if there is a way to import
                                you exixsting tree to there?

                                > Shelby W Torres

                              • Shelby Torres
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 20, 2009
                                  I guess I'm alittle slow. My tree is on ancesty com. So how would you go about doing that?

                                  Shelby W Torres

                                  <shelbywtorres@ ...> wrote:

                                  > I down loaded Legacy and was wondering if there is a way to import
                                  you exixsting tree to there?

                                  > Shelby W Torres

                                • Gwen Hopkins
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 21, 2009
                                    go to manage my tree in ancestry. you should see where you can export from there.