Re: A ffew questions

  • mccgram
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
      this might be a bit off track, but since that name is unusal:
      Betty Family Papers, 1835 – 1935. ~ 80 items. TSLA.
      [View Manuscript Finding Aid]
      The Betty Family Papers, of Rutherford County, Tennessee, consist of
      correspondence, three loose documents, genealogical data, photographs,
      and sketches. Included in the correspondence are letters from William
      Francis McClanahan Betty (ca. 1829-1902/03) to his wife, Sophie Burrus
      (Rucker) Betty (1839-1866), before and after they married in 1859.
      William Betty served as Lieutenant in the 28th Tennessee, Confederate
      States of America, from 1862 to 1865. There are seven letters from
      Betty to his wife expressing his love and how much he misses his family
      between 1864-65. His younger daughter, Willie, was born after he left
      for service. She became an internationally acclaimed artist and had a
      studio in Paris, France, and later in Nashville, Tennessee, where she
      died in 1935. (She was born January 21, 1863; married J. W. Newman in
      1882, and to this day is referred to as Willie Betty Newman.)

      http://www.state.tn.us/tsla/history/manuscripts/mguidea.htm
    • carlos
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "mccgram" <mccgram@...>
        wrote:

        > this might be a bit off track, but since that name is unusal:
        > Betty Family Papers, 1835 – 1935. ~ 80 items. TSLA.
        > [View Manuscript Finding Aid]
        > The Betty Family Papers, of Rutherford County, Tennessee, consist of

        Thanks , I have seen those before but I think it is a different or
        distant branch of the Betty's in my line. Most of my people that I
        have found so far have been farmers and Loggers . Please keep on
        sending anything you find - The most important link I got on this
        part of my family came from out of the blue. My great grandfather
        started out spelling his name betty but somewhere down the line for
        some reason it changed to Bettie . All the living and recently living
        relatives now use the Bettie spelling now. Thanks for taking the
        time to send this info - it is really appreciated.

        Wayne