A ffew questions

  • carlos
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 30, 2008
      My Great-Grandfather , Charlie Mitchell Bettie (Betty) b-april 11,
      1888 D 1975, is who I am asking about. How would I go about getting
      his application for Social Security. What I need is to see what he
      filled in for his parents. Maybe it's his application for a birth
      certificate . Will I have order these records from Social Security
      or can I look that up on line. I think I have his father and
      grandfather identified , but really need something to nail it down.
      What kind of record is it that I need to see where he gave
      information about his parents? I've never ordered any documents ,
      so I'm kinda in the dark about What to do or What to ask for. I
      have his SS number place of birth and death etc. Any help appreciated!!

      Wayne
    • circa_1948
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 31, 2008
        depending on state and time frame it can vary.
        death certificates, obits, birth certificates of course, immigration docs, some military draft cards and/or other info, marriage certificates/newspaper wedding announcements.
        Sunny

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 31, 2008
            here is his SS info:

            Name: Charlie Bettie
            Birth date: 11 Apr 1888
            Death date: Sep 1975
            Last residence: Medina, Gibson, Tennessee
            Zip code last residence: 38355
            Last benefit:
            Zip code last benefit:
            Social security number: 409-32-xxxx
            Issued: Tennessee
            Source of death record: 44
            Age at death: 87
            Collection: U.S. Social Security Death Index

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 31, 2008
              Thanks!!

              Wayne

            • cwc362
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 31, 2008
                Sorry guess I didn't put that on there. He was born in medina TN.

                Charlie Mitchell Betty(bettie) born april 11, 1888 - died september 1975 in Gibson county Tennessee. Part of the Town of Medina addresses are in Gibson County and part are in Madison County. Most of my family have lived back and forth between the Madison And Gibson county lines. So A lot of my people's records are split between those two counties. Thnks!!

                Wayne

              • mccgram
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
                  Name: Charley Betty
                  City: Not Stated
                  County: Dyer
                  State: Tennessee
                  Birthplace: Tennessee;United States of America
                  Birth Date: 11 Apr 1888
                  Race: Caucasian (White)
                  Roll: 1852980
                  claimed exemption wife and 4 children
                  marked with an X cannot write>
                • cwc362
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
                    Thanks !!

                  • mccgram
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
                      this might be a bit off track, but since that name is unusal:
                      Betty Family Papers, 1835 – 1935. ~ 80 items. TSLA.
                      [View Manuscript Finding Aid]
                      The Betty Family Papers, of Rutherford County, Tennessee, consist of
                      correspondence, three loose documents, genealogical data, photographs,
                      and sketches. Included in the correspondence are letters from William
                      Francis McClanahan Betty (ca. 1829-1902/03) to his wife, Sophie Burrus
                      (Rucker) Betty (1839-1866), before and after they married in 1859.
                      William Betty served as Lieutenant in the 28th Tennessee, Confederate
                      States of America, from 1862 to 1865. There are seven letters from
                      Betty to his wife expressing his love and how much he misses his family
                      between 1864-65. His younger daughter, Willie, was born after he left
                      for service. She became an internationally acclaimed artist and had a
                      studio in Paris, France, and later in Nashville, Tennessee, where she
                      died in 1935. (She was born January 21, 1863; married J. W. Newman in
                      1882, and to this day is referred to as Willie Betty Newman.)

                      http://www.state.tn.us/tsla/history/manuscripts/mguidea.htm
                    • carlos
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "mccgram" <mccgram@...>
                        wrote:

                        > this might be a bit off track, but since that name is unusal:
                        > Betty Family Papers, 1835 – 1935. ~ 80 items. TSLA.
                        > [View Manuscript Finding Aid]
                        > The Betty Family Papers, of Rutherford County, Tennessee, consist of

                        Thanks , I have seen those before but I think it is a different or
                        distant branch of the Betty's in my line. Most of my people that I
                        have found so far have been farmers and Loggers . Please keep on
                        sending anything you find - The most important link I got on this
                        part of my family came from out of the blue. My great grandfather
                        started out spelling his name betty but somewhere down the line for
                        some reason it changed to Bettie . All the living and recently living
                        relatives now use the Bettie spelling now. Thanks for taking the
                        time to send this info - it is really appreciated.

                        Wayne