Questions...

  • Sherrie
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2008
      Sorry I have so many questions, I have so much to learn. My
      Grandfather Clyde Roland Rose was born 4/23/1921. He died in Aug.
      1985. His SS# was 381-18-7949. He was born to Charles Rose and
      whoever Charles was married to at the time. I know that she died
      either within a year or so of Clyde's birth or maybe at birth.
      Charles didn't think he could raise him alone so Charles's brother
      Clyde Rose (and his wife Mable) adopted Clyde Roland Rose. Charles
      Rose later married Letta (not sure of her maiden name.)

      When doing family trees and histories, Would I just skip over the
      fact that Clyde Roland was adopted by his uncle Clyde? Do I put
      Clyde as Clyde Rolands father since he was legally his father or just
      leave him as his uncle?

      How do I find out about adoptions? I can't find any birth
      certificates for Clyde Roland Rose that would list a mother on it. I
      am really hoping that I can learn where to find these types of things
      out. I did find a lot of death cert. info but I already knew that
      since it was only in 1985 I remember that much.

      I have learned that I am going to start writing things down for my
      children about what I remember as a child and the family things that
      they may find interesting. Stories and how everyone fits together.
      I wish my grandma was in the frame of mind to help. *sigh* Oh how I
      am missing my great grandparents right now. When I was young I spent
      every weekend with them. How easy it would have been to just ask
      them but of course I was so young. Do any of you get really
      sentimental when you are looking into your family? Has your getting
      involved in researching your past impacted your record keeping of
      your current happenings for future generations?
    • mg
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2008
        I am absolutely not an expert, but I think you should document what you know about his birth and adoption in some notes or comment section at least.  Many programs have places where you can note things like this and also where you can write little biographies.  Then someone else might read it if you post it on the internet and add more information. Good luck.  mg

        When doing family trees and histories, Would I just skip over the
        fact that Clyde Roland was adopted by his uncle Clyde? Do I put
        Clyde as Clyde Rolands father since he was legally his father or just
        leave him as his uncle?

        Recent Activity

         6
        New MembersVisit Your Group

        Yahoo! Groups
        Going Green Zone
        Learn to go green.
        Save energy. Save the planet.

        John McEnroe
        on Yahoo! Groups
        Join him for the
        10 Day Challenge.

        Special K Group
        on Yahoo! Groups
        Join the challenge
        and lose weight.
        .

      • Mechelle Wallace
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2008
          I know that I have felt a spiritual bonding with my family that lived so long ago..this has made them real to me.
          What got me started was a trip to Missouri, to see the place that my Grandmother grew up in.  To see what she saw, and walk on the farm her "Daddy" worked, brought an unexplainable closeness.

          They aren't just names anymore, they are my family.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 12, 2008
            Sherrie -

            I have known people who fall on either side of this "issue" -
            whether to show Charles or Clyde as the father of Clyde Roland.
            I suppose that it would be personal preference.
            My own opinion is to go with genetics - ie., list Charles as
            the father, with notes to indicate that Clyde Roland was adopted
            and raised by Clyde & Mable.
            Certainly do NOT skip it - it is/was an important part of the life
            of Clyde Roland! And probably some *other* parts of his life
            wouldn't make sense if that part were left out!

            > How do I find out about adoptions?

            Sorry - can't help - I know very little about them.

            I don't know what info you already have, so here's some -

            1930 Emmett, Calhoun, MI
            Rose, Clyde S/47:MI:MI:IN, Mable/43:MI:MI:MI, Clyde R/9:MI:MI:MI

            Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
            Name: Clyde R Rose
            Birth Date: 23 Apr 1921
            Death Date: 6 Aug 1985
            Gender: Male
            Residence: Hope, Barry, Michigan
            Place of Death: Hope, Barry, Michigan

            Name: Clyde Sylvester Rose
            Address 5 Battle Creek Cal (Calhoun) Mich
            Birth Date: 14 Mar 1883
            Nearest Relative: Mabel Rose (same address)
            Physically disqualified: middle finger right hand
            Roll: 1675130

            I'm not sure if this is the same couple or not -
            1920 Emmet, Calhoun, Michigan (indexed as ROSS)
            Rose, Clyde/36:MI:IN:IN/SheetMetalWorker, Maud/33:MI:MI:MI

            1910 Bath, Clinton, MI
            (in the house of Emmet & Dalia Clise)
            Rose, Clyde/27:MI:MI:NY/HiredMan, Mable/23:MI:MI:MI married.1 2 yrs

            1900 Elba, Gratiot, Michigan
            Rose, Charles, head 47 married 24 yrs born May 1853 MI:NY:MI
            (), Emma, wife 42 married 24 yrs born Dec 1857 IN:NY:NY
            - 7 children 6 living
            (), Clyde, son 17 born Mar 1883 MI:MI:IN
            (), Clayton, son 9 born Nov 1890 MI:MI:IN
            (), Charles, son 6 born Nov 1893 MI:MI:IN
            (), Cleophas, son 11m born June 1899 MI:MI:IN
            NOTE: household of Jacob/51 & Loretta Rose on the same censuspage.

            I'm not sure if this is the same couple, but it looks good -
            1880 Shiawasse, Shiawassee, MI
            Cook, Esckid?/40:MI:RI:NY, Anna/37, Charles B/14, Clayton/9
            Cook, Esckid?/81:RI:RI:RI/father/widower
            Rose, Chas/28:MI:MI:MI/son-in-law, Emma/23:IN:IN:IN, Bertie/1
            NOTE: "Esckid?" looks more like "Esckiel?"; indexed as ESCKID

            - Tom Knox IBSSG

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Sherrie" <sla2828@...>