Re: [Genealogy Research Club] calkins

  • Kate
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi-

      I'm assuming this is the family in 1920:
      1920 United States Federal Census

      Name:
      Silas A Calkins

      Home in 1920:
      Everett, Snohomish, Washington

      Age:
      AgeWith12ths('50',true);50 years

      Estimated Birth Year:
      abt 1870

      Birthplace:
      Wisconsin

      Relation to Head of House:
      Head

      Spouse's Name:
      Annie

      Father's Birth Place:
      New York

      Mother's Birth Place:
      Ohio

      Marital Status:
      Married

      Race:
      White

      Sex:
      Male

      Home owned:
      Own

      Able to read:
      Yes

      Able to Write:
      Yes

      Image:
      1136

      Neighbors:
      View others on page

      Household Members:

      Name
      Age

      Silas A Calkins
      50

      Annie Calkins
      43

      Hazel Calkins
      17

      Edward Calkins
      13

      Harney Calkins
      11

      Ruth Calkins
      8

      Glen Calkins
      7

      Lillian Calkins
      4

      Orville R Calkins
      56

      Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Everett, Snohomish, Washington; Roll: T625_1938; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 165; Image: 1136.

      and here's a possible from 1870, as I see a Silas and an Orville:

      1870 United States Federal Census 1870 United States Federal Census

      Name:
      Silas A Calkins

      Estimated Birth Year:
      abt 1868

      Age in 1870:
      2

      Birthplace:
      Wisconsin

      Home in 1870:
      Bear Creek, Waupaca, Wisconsin

      Race:
      White

      Gender:
      Male

      Value of real estate:
      View Image

      Post Office:
      Bear Creek

      Household Members:

      Name
      Age

      Andrea J Calkins
      36

      Eliza J Calkins
      37

      Charles H Calkins
      13

      Rosella Calkins
      12

      Mary L Calkins
      10

      Orville R Calkins
      7

      Lucy A Calkins
      4

      Silas A Calkins
      2

      Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Bear Creek, Waupaca, Wisconsin; Roll: M593_1744; Page: 2; Image: 5.
      Kate

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
        You didn't specify state or decade,
        or what information you already have -
        this looks like the right family -

        1930 Everett, Snohomish, WA
        Calkins, Silas A/60:WI:Eng:Eng, Anna L/54:WI:Eng:Ire,
        (), Edward/24, Glenn/18, Lillian/14 (children born WA)
        Gross, Hazel G/28/dau/div, Dorothy/5, Vernon W/3+1m, Ruth L/8m

        1920 Everett, Snohomish, WA
        Calkins, Silas A/50:WI:NY:OH, Annie/43:WI:Eng:Eng,
        (), Hazel/17, Edward/13, Harvey/11, (all children born WA)
        (), Ruth/8, Glen/7, Lillian/4, Orville R/56:WI/brother/single
        NOTE: Orville will come in handy back in 1870/1880 census.

        1910 Marysville, Snohomish, WA
        Calkins, Silas A/41:WI:Scot:US/m2, Annie/34:WI:Eng:Ire/m1,
        - married 14 yrs; 5 children 4 living
        (), Grace/11:WI, Hazel/8:WA, Edward/4, Harvey/2

        1900 Antigo, Langlade, Wisconsin
        Calkins, Silas/31:WI:NY:NY, Anna/24:WI:Eng:NY, Grace/1:WI
        - married 3 yrs; 1 child 1 living

        (Ancestry.com has 1895 and 1905 Wisconsin state censuses)
        (database "Washington Births, 1891-1907")
        (database "Washington Births, 1907-1919")
        (database "Washington Death Index, 1940-1996")
        1880 census available free at http://www.familysearch.org

        Wisconsin Marriages, pre-1907
        Name: Silas A Calkins
        Name: Anna L Richards
        Marriage Date: 07 Feb 1898
        County: Portage
        Volume: 03
        Page: 0077

        Washington Death Index, 1940-1996
        Name: Silas A Calkins
        Date of Death: 4 Mar 1950
        Age: 81
        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1869
        Gender: Male
        Certificate: 5225

        1870 Bear Creek, Waupaca, Wisconsin
        Calkins, Andrew J/36:NY/farmer, Eliza J/37:NH?,
        (), Charles H/13:WI, Rosella/12, Mary L/10,
        (), Orville R/7, Lucy A/4, Silas A/2

        1860 Lebanon (P.O. Northport), Waupaca, WI
        Calkins, Andrew/25:NY/farmer, Eliza J/26:NH?,
        (), Chas H/3:WI, Rosella L/1, Mary L/1m
        NOTE: adjacent to household of Silas Calkins/58:Canada

        1850 Sheboygan Falls, Sheboygan, WI
        Calkins, Silas/49:VT, Lucy/50:MA,
        (), Eliza Ann/20:NY, Andrew J/15:NY, Henry J/13:NY, Harvey J/9:NY

        There is Andrew J Calkins in Antigo,Langlade,WI 1890 Veterans census.
        =====
        U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865
        Name: Andrew J. Calkins
        Side: Union
        Regiment Name Expanded: 21st Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry
        COMPANY: G
        Rank In: Corporal
        Rank Out: Private
        Film Number: M559 roll 5
        =====
        Name: Andrew Calkins
        RESIDENCE: Lebanon, Wisconsin
        Enlistment Date: 15 Aug 1862
        Side Served: Union
        State Served: Wisconsin
        Service Record: Enlisted as a Corporal on 15 August 1862.
        Enlisted in Company G, 21st Infantry Regiment Wisconsin on 15 Aug
        1862.
        Mustered Out Company G, 21st Infantry Regiment Wisconsin on 8 Jun
        1865 at Washington, DC.

        - Tom Knox IBSSG

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "bigsissy55"

      • Peakcat@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
          Welcome to our group and hope you are successful. Do you have any additional
          information about the Calkins family- where they came from? Where they
          lived? Dates of birth and death? Children's names? etc.

          Ina Getzoff
          _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)

          AOL.com.

        • bigsissy55
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 26, 2009
            i am researching fathers family, amy one who knows anything about calkins please respond, i have come across several questions in my research. any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks, glenice marie
          • Pop Pete from Glenmont, NY
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 27, 2009
              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "bigsissy55" <bigsissy55@...> wrote:

              > i am researching fathers family, amy one who knows anything about calkins please respond, i have come across several questions in my research. any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks, glenice marie

              Calkins is a name I can recall as The Sheriff of Schenectady County back in the late 50's and early 60's was Harold Calkins. At one time the family had a coal business on Erie Blvd and HAROLD was a police Officer for The City of Schenectady and directed traffic at Erie Blve and State inh Schenectady., before becoming Sheriff. BY the way I worked for him and was a Patrol officer. I believe he lived on Regent St.You may be able to obtain more info on Harold from the Schenectady Public records. Good Luck
              That is about all I can remember for this Calkins. Maybe this will open some doors for you. Poppete from Glenmont, NY
            • bigsissy55
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 29, 2009
                hello all!! i am researching fathers family, surname calkins, grandfathers name was silas austin calkins, grandmothers name was anna lucretia richards. any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks glenice marie