Re: [Genealogy Research Club] calkins

  • Kate
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi-

      I'm assuming this is the family in 1920:
      1920 United States Federal Census

      Name:
      Silas A Calkins

      Home in 1920:
      Everett, Snohomish, Washington

      Age:
      AgeWith12ths('50',true);50 years

      Estimated Birth Year:
      abt 1870

      Birthplace:
      Wisconsin

      Relation to Head of House:
      Head

      Spouse's Name:
      Annie

      Father's Birth Place:
      New York

      Mother's Birth Place:
      Ohio

      Marital Status:
      Married

      Race:
      White

      Sex:
      Male

      Home owned:
      Own

      Able to read:
      Yes

      Able to Write:
      Yes

      Image:
      1136

      Neighbors:
      View others on page

      Household Members:

      Name
      Age

      Silas A Calkins
      50

      Annie Calkins
      43

      Hazel Calkins
      17

      Edward Calkins
      13

      Harney Calkins
      11

      Ruth Calkins
      8

      Glen Calkins
      7

      Lillian Calkins
      4

      Orville R Calkins
      56

      Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Everett, Snohomish, Washington; Roll: T625_1938; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 165; Image: 1136.

      and here's a possible from 1870, as I see a Silas and an Orville:

      1870 United States Federal Census 1870 United States Federal Census

      Name:
      Silas A Calkins

      Estimated Birth Year:
      abt 1868

      Age in 1870:
      2

      Birthplace:
      Wisconsin

      Home in 1870:
      Bear Creek, Waupaca, Wisconsin

      Race:
      White

      Gender:
      Male

      Value of real estate:
      View Image

      Post Office:
      Bear Creek

      Household Members:

      Name
      Age

      Andrea J Calkins
      36

      Eliza J Calkins
      37

      Charles H Calkins
      13

      Rosella Calkins
      12

      Mary L Calkins
      10

      Orville R Calkins
      7

      Lucy A Calkins
      4

      Silas A Calkins
      2

      Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Bear Creek, Waupaca, Wisconsin; Roll: M593_1744; Page: 2; Image: 5.
      Kate

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
        here's more, looks like Silas' father's name was Andrew?
        Kate

        American Civil War Soldiers

        Name:
        Andrew Calkins

        RESIDENCE:
        Lebanon, Wisconsin

        Enlistment Date:

        Side Served:
        Union

        State Served:
        Wisconsin

        Service Record:
        Enlisted as a Corporal on 15 August 1862.
        Enlisted in Company G, 21st Infantry Regiment Wisconsin on 15 Aug 1862.
        Mustered Out Company G, 21st Infantry Regiment Wisconsin on 8 Jun 1865 at Washington, DC.

        Sources:
        97

        Source Citation: Side served: Union; State served: Wisconsin; Enlistment date: 15 Aug 1862..

        i am researching my fathers family, his name was glen herbert calkins,

        his father was silas austin calkins, his mother was anna lucretia

        richards.

      • Tom Knox
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
          You didn't specify state or decade,
          or what information you already have -
          this looks like the right family -

          1930 Everett, Snohomish, WA
          Calkins, Silas A/60:WI:Eng:Eng, Anna L/54:WI:Eng:Ire,
          (), Edward/24, Glenn/18, Lillian/14 (children born WA)
          Gross, Hazel G/28/dau/div, Dorothy/5, Vernon W/3+1m, Ruth L/8m

          1920 Everett, Snohomish, WA
          Calkins, Silas A/50:WI:NY:OH, Annie/43:WI:Eng:Eng,
          (), Hazel/17, Edward/13, Harvey/11, (all children born WA)
          (), Ruth/8, Glen/7, Lillian/4, Orville R/56:WI/brother/single
          NOTE: Orville will come in handy back in 1870/1880 census.

          1910 Marysville, Snohomish, WA
          Calkins, Silas A/41:WI:Scot:US/m2, Annie/34:WI:Eng:Ire/m1,
          - married 14 yrs; 5 children 4 living
          (), Grace/11:WI, Hazel/8:WA, Edward/4, Harvey/2

          1900 Antigo, Langlade, Wisconsin
          Calkins, Silas/31:WI:NY:NY, Anna/24:WI:Eng:NY, Grace/1:WI
          - married 3 yrs; 1 child 1 living

          (Ancestry.com has 1895 and 1905 Wisconsin state censuses)
          (database "Washington Births, 1891-1907")
          (database "Washington Births, 1907-1919")
          (database "Washington Death Index, 1940-1996")
          1880 census available free at http://www.familysearch.org

          Wisconsin Marriages, pre-1907
          Name: Silas A Calkins
          Name: Anna L Richards
          Marriage Date: 07 Feb 1898
          County: Portage
          Volume: 03
          Page: 0077

          Washington Death Index, 1940-1996
          Name: Silas A Calkins
          Date of Death: 4 Mar 1950
          Age: 81
          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1869
          Gender: Male
          Certificate: 5225

          1870 Bear Creek, Waupaca, Wisconsin
          Calkins, Andrew J/36:NY/farmer, Eliza J/37:NH?,
          (), Charles H/13:WI, Rosella/12, Mary L/10,
          (), Orville R/7, Lucy A/4, Silas A/2

          1860 Lebanon (P.O. Northport), Waupaca, WI
          Calkins, Andrew/25:NY/farmer, Eliza J/26:NH?,
          (), Chas H/3:WI, Rosella L/1, Mary L/1m
          NOTE: adjacent to household of Silas Calkins/58:Canada

          1850 Sheboygan Falls, Sheboygan, WI
          Calkins, Silas/49:VT, Lucy/50:MA,
          (), Eliza Ann/20:NY, Andrew J/15:NY, Henry J/13:NY, Harvey J/9:NY

          There is Andrew J Calkins in Antigo,Langlade,WI 1890 Veterans census.
          =====
          U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865
          Name: Andrew J. Calkins
          Side: Union
          Regiment Name Expanded: 21st Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry
          COMPANY: G
          Rank In: Corporal
          Rank Out: Private
          Film Number: M559 roll 5
          =====
          Name: Andrew Calkins
          RESIDENCE: Lebanon, Wisconsin
          Enlistment Date: 15 Aug 1862
          Side Served: Union
          State Served: Wisconsin
          Service Record: Enlisted as a Corporal on 15 August 1862.
          Enlisted in Company G, 21st Infantry Regiment Wisconsin on 15 Aug
          1862.
          Mustered Out Company G, 21st Infantry Regiment Wisconsin on 8 Jun
          1865 at Washington, DC.

          - Tom Knox IBSSG

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "bigsissy55"

        • Peakcat@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
            Welcome to our group and hope you are successful. Do you have any additional
            information about the Calkins family- where they came from? Where they
            lived? Dates of birth and death? Children's names? etc.

            Ina Getzoff
            _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)

            AOL.com.

          • bigsissy55
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 26, 2009
              i am researching fathers family, amy one who knows anything about calkins please respond, i have come across several questions in my research. any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks, glenice marie
            • Pop Pete from Glenmont, NY
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 27, 2009
                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "bigsissy55" <bigsissy55@...> wrote:

                > i am researching fathers family, amy one who knows anything about calkins please respond, i have come across several questions in my research. any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks, glenice marie

                Calkins is a name I can recall as The Sheriff of Schenectady County back in the late 50's and early 60's was Harold Calkins. At one time the family had a coal business on Erie Blvd and HAROLD was a police Officer for The City of Schenectady and directed traffic at Erie Blve and State inh Schenectady., before becoming Sheriff. BY the way I worked for him and was a Patrol officer. I believe he lived on Regent St.You may be able to obtain more info on Harold from the Schenectady Public records. Good Luck
                That is about all I can remember for this Calkins. Maybe this will open some doors for you. Poppete from Glenmont, NY
              • bigsissy55
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 29, 2009
                  hello all!! i am researching fathers family, surname calkins, grandfathers name was silas austin calkins, grandmothers name was anna lucretia richards. any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks glenice marie