calkins

  • bigsissy55
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 30, 2008
      i am researching my fathers family, his name was glen herbert calkins,
      his father was silas austin calkins, his mother was anna lucretia
      richards.
    • Kate
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
        Hi-

        I'm assuming this is the family in 1920:
        1920 United States Federal Census

        Name:
        Silas A Calkins

        Home in 1920:
        Everett, Snohomish, Washington

        Age:
        AgeWith12ths('50',true);50 years

        Estimated Birth Year:
        abt 1870

        Birthplace:
        Wisconsin

        Relation to Head of House:
        Head

        Spouse's Name:
        Annie

        Father's Birth Place:
        New York

        Mother's Birth Place:
        Ohio

        Marital Status:
        Married

        Race:
        White

        Sex:
        Male

        Home owned:
        Own

        Able to read:
        Yes

        Able to Write:
        Yes

        Image:
        1136

        Neighbors:
        View others on page

        Household Members:

        Name
        Age

        Silas A Calkins
        50

        Annie Calkins
        43

        Hazel Calkins
        17

        Edward Calkins
        13

        Harney Calkins
        11

        Ruth Calkins
        8

        Glen Calkins
        7

        Lillian Calkins
        4

        Orville R Calkins
        56

        Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Everett, Snohomish, Washington; Roll: T625_1938; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 165; Image: 1136.

        and here's a possible from 1870, as I see a Silas and an Orville:

        1870 United States Federal Census 1870 United States Federal Census

        Name:
        Silas A Calkins

        Estimated Birth Year:
        abt 1868

        Age in 1870:
        2

        Birthplace:
        Wisconsin

        Home in 1870:
        Bear Creek, Waupaca, Wisconsin

        Race:
        White

        Gender:
        Male

        Value of real estate:
        View Image

        Post Office:
        Bear Creek

        Household Members:

        Name
        Age

        Andrea J Calkins
        36

        Eliza J Calkins
        37

        Charles H Calkins
        13

        Rosella Calkins
        12

        Mary L Calkins
        10

        Orville R Calkins
        7

        Lucy A Calkins
        4

        Silas A Calkins
        2

        Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Bear Creek, Waupaca, Wisconsin; Roll: M593_1744; Page: 2; Image: 5.
        Kate

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
          here's more, looks like Silas' father's name was Andrew?
          Kate

          American Civil War Soldiers

          Name:
          Andrew Calkins

          RESIDENCE:
          Lebanon, Wisconsin

          Enlistment Date:

          Side Served:
          Union

          State Served:
          Wisconsin

          Service Record:
          Enlisted as a Corporal on 15 August 1862.
          Enlisted in Company G, 21st Infantry Regiment Wisconsin on 15 Aug 1862.
          Mustered Out Company G, 21st Infantry Regiment Wisconsin on 8 Jun 1865 at Washington, DC.

          Sources:
          97

          Source Citation: Side served: Union; State served: Wisconsin; Enlistment date: 15 Aug 1862..

          i am researching my fathers family, his name was glen herbert calkins,

          his father was silas austin calkins, his mother was anna lucretia

          richards.

        • Tom Knox
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
            You didn't specify state or decade,
            or what information you already have -
            this looks like the right family -

            1930 Everett, Snohomish, WA
            Calkins, Silas A/60:WI:Eng:Eng, Anna L/54:WI:Eng:Ire,
            (), Edward/24, Glenn/18, Lillian/14 (children born WA)
            Gross, Hazel G/28/dau/div, Dorothy/5, Vernon W/3+1m, Ruth L/8m

            1920 Everett, Snohomish, WA
            Calkins, Silas A/50:WI:NY:OH, Annie/43:WI:Eng:Eng,
            (), Hazel/17, Edward/13, Harvey/11, (all children born WA)
            (), Ruth/8, Glen/7, Lillian/4, Orville R/56:WI/brother/single
            NOTE: Orville will come in handy back in 1870/1880 census.

            1910 Marysville, Snohomish, WA
            Calkins, Silas A/41:WI:Scot:US/m2, Annie/34:WI:Eng:Ire/m1,
            - married 14 yrs; 5 children 4 living
            (), Grace/11:WI, Hazel/8:WA, Edward/4, Harvey/2

            1900 Antigo, Langlade, Wisconsin
            Calkins, Silas/31:WI:NY:NY, Anna/24:WI:Eng:NY, Grace/1:WI
            - married 3 yrs; 1 child 1 living

            (Ancestry.com has 1895 and 1905 Wisconsin state censuses)
            (database "Washington Births, 1891-1907")
            (database "Washington Births, 1907-1919")
            (database "Washington Death Index, 1940-1996")
            1880 census available free at http://www.familysearch.org

            Wisconsin Marriages, pre-1907
            Name: Silas A Calkins
            Name: Anna L Richards
            Marriage Date: 07 Feb 1898
            County: Portage
            Volume: 03
            Page: 0077

            Washington Death Index, 1940-1996
            Name: Silas A Calkins
            Date of Death: 4 Mar 1950
            Age: 81
            Estimated Birth Year: abt 1869
            Gender: Male
            Certificate: 5225

            1870 Bear Creek, Waupaca, Wisconsin
            Calkins, Andrew J/36:NY/farmer, Eliza J/37:NH?,
            (), Charles H/13:WI, Rosella/12, Mary L/10,
            (), Orville R/7, Lucy A/4, Silas A/2

            1860 Lebanon (P.O. Northport), Waupaca, WI
            Calkins, Andrew/25:NY/farmer, Eliza J/26:NH?,
            (), Chas H/3:WI, Rosella L/1, Mary L/1m
            NOTE: adjacent to household of Silas Calkins/58:Canada

            1850 Sheboygan Falls, Sheboygan, WI
            Calkins, Silas/49:VT, Lucy/50:MA,
            (), Eliza Ann/20:NY, Andrew J/15:NY, Henry J/13:NY, Harvey J/9:NY

            There is Andrew J Calkins in Antigo,Langlade,WI 1890 Veterans census.
            =====
            U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865
            Name: Andrew J. Calkins
            Side: Union
            Regiment Name Expanded: 21st Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry
            COMPANY: G
            Rank In: Corporal
            Rank Out: Private
            Film Number: M559 roll 5
            =====
            Name: Andrew Calkins
            RESIDENCE: Lebanon, Wisconsin
            Enlistment Date: 15 Aug 1862
            Side Served: Union
            State Served: Wisconsin
            Service Record: Enlisted as a Corporal on 15 August 1862.
            Enlisted in Company G, 21st Infantry Regiment Wisconsin on 15 Aug
            1862.
            Mustered Out Company G, 21st Infantry Regiment Wisconsin on 8 Jun
            1865 at Washington, DC.

            - Tom Knox IBSSG

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "bigsissy55"

          • Peakcat@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
              Welcome to our group and hope you are successful. Do you have any additional
              information about the Calkins family- where they came from? Where they
              lived? Dates of birth and death? Children's names? etc.

              Ina Getzoff
              _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)

              AOL.com.

            • bigsissy55
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 26, 2009
                i am researching fathers family, amy one who knows anything about calkins please respond, i have come across several questions in my research. any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks, glenice marie
              • Pop Pete from Glenmont, NY
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 27, 2009
                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "bigsissy55" <bigsissy55@...> wrote:

                  > i am researching fathers family, amy one who knows anything about calkins please respond, i have come across several questions in my research. any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks, glenice marie

                  Calkins is a name I can recall as The Sheriff of Schenectady County back in the late 50's and early 60's was Harold Calkins. At one time the family had a coal business on Erie Blvd and HAROLD was a police Officer for The City of Schenectady and directed traffic at Erie Blve and State inh Schenectady., before becoming Sheriff. BY the way I worked for him and was a Patrol officer. I believe he lived on Regent St.You may be able to obtain more info on Harold from the Schenectady Public records. Good Luck
                  That is about all I can remember for this Calkins. Maybe this will open some doors for you. Poppete from Glenmont, NY
                • bigsissy55
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 29, 2009
                    hello all!! i am researching fathers family, surname calkins, grandfathers name was silas austin calkins, grandmothers name was anna lucretia richards. any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks glenice marie