Lamb-Strey-Egger-Sternitske Chicago-Wisconsin-Minnesota

  • Chris Lamb
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2008
      I never heard my dad say a word about his dad or his family.
      Recently a friend got me interested in genealogy. I attended a
      Conference in the Chicago area recently, I have an Ancestry account,
      and I have quickly become addicted to this whole process. My
      knowledge of my dad's mom's side, the Sternitske's is pretty complete
      back to mid 1800's when Gustav and Augusta came from Pomeranz
      Germany. My mom's mom's side goes back to the mid 1800's with family
      members by the name of Strey living in Minneapolis, Milwaukee and
      Chicago. I understand they came from Sweden. Mom's dad was Egger
      from Berne Switzerland in the mid 1800's. I haven't taken the step
      to try to research prior to that in Europe. That should be interesting.

      My dad's great-grandfather arrived on the Sandusky into Port of NYC
      on Aug 5 1851 from Liverpool. He was from Killarney. He was 28 and
      arrived with a young wife the same age. They had just escaped the
      Great Irish Potato Famine. I sometimes think of the courage these
      people must have had, arriving in this country that was on the brink
      of Civil War. Henry Lamb had two kids in NYC, moved to Chicago and
      had 5 more by the 1860 census. I know nothing of him prior to his
      arrival. One recent finding was a Chicago Tribune obituary that we
      found at the Newberry Library in Chicago that led me to my dad's
      aunts and their families. No one ever knew they existed. One of the
      grandsons is alive and well near Chicago.

      I am going up to Chicago over Thanksgiving weekend to meet with
      relatives in their 90's on all 4 legs of the tree. If you can shed
      any light on things I should do in my research or you have knowledge
      of any of these families, contact me. I am writing a book which I
      intend to publish, mostly for the use of my greater family.

      Chris