Re: Oney Family

  • Debbie Oney
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2008
      Hi Ruby,
        Thanks for writing to me.
      My Oney family comes from Texas.
      I have traced them back to Virginia, but not at all in Minnesota.
      Did you have Oney family in Texas?

      Debbie

      ________________________________
      From: Debbie Oney <debisgenealogy@ yahoo.com>
      To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 7:48 PM

      Hello,
        I also had a great-uncle who was in Mattewan State Prison.  I have the same problem you have....no one wants to talk about it.
      Vincent DeLuca was born in 1892 and I don't know when he passed away.  I can't find him anywhere in census records.
      I would like to know when he passed, and exactly how long he stayed in prison.

      Prison records seem to be hard to find.  I'm in Texas now, so getting info from NY is not easy.

      Debbie

      ____________ _________ _________ __
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23, 2008
        I never heard my dad say a word about his dad or his family.
        Recently a friend got me interested in genealogy. I attended a
        Conference in the Chicago area recently, I have an Ancestry account,
        and I have quickly become addicted to this whole process. My
        knowledge of my dad's mom's side, the Sternitske's is pretty complete
        back to mid 1800's when Gustav and Augusta came from Pomeranz
        Germany. My mom's mom's side goes back to the mid 1800's with family
        members by the name of Strey living in Minneapolis, Milwaukee and
        Chicago. I understand they came from Sweden. Mom's dad was Egger
        from Berne Switzerland in the mid 1800's. I haven't taken the step
        to try to research prior to that in Europe. That should be interesting.

        My dad's great-grandfather arrived on the Sandusky into Port of NYC
        on Aug 5 1851 from Liverpool. He was from Killarney. He was 28 and
        arrived with a young wife the same age. They had just escaped the
        Great Irish Potato Famine. I sometimes think of the courage these
        people must have had, arriving in this country that was on the brink
        of Civil War. Henry Lamb had two kids in NYC, moved to Chicago and
        had 5 more by the 1860 census. I know nothing of him prior to his
        arrival. One recent finding was a Chicago Tribune obituary that we
        found at the Newberry Library in Chicago that led me to my dad's
        aunts and their families. No one ever knew they existed. One of the
        grandsons is alive and well near Chicago.

        I am going up to Chicago over Thanksgiving weekend to meet with
        relatives in their 90's on all 4 legs of the tree. If you can shed
        any light on things I should do in my research or you have knowledge
        of any of these families, contact me. I am writing a book which I
        intend to publish, mostly for the use of my greater family.

        Chris