Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Digest Number 1627//To Ewan Steed

  • Chris sparks
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2008
      http://www.scotclans.com/scottish_clans/clans/fraser_of_lovat/history.html

      --- On Thu, 11/20/08, William Fraser <b.fraser49@...> wrote:

      From: William Fraser <b.fraser49@...>
      Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Digest Number 1627//To Ewan Steed
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 3:15 PM

      Ewan, I'm a Fraser and I have a very old crest pin that has the Fraser crest with "Je suis prest" written upon it.  I have othere  newer articles with the same motto. I know that this is old french and translates to "I am ready".  However, someone recently sent me information that has the Fraser crest with a motto that is totally different.  Do any of your books have any information on Fraser motto's?
      Most of my ancestors are from Scotland...Fraser, McColl, Crawford,Means and Bruce are the lines I'm currently researching.

      Thanks!

      From: Ewan Steed <genealogy@ancestry r oots.co.uk>
      Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Digest Number 1627
      To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 2:13 PM

      Hi there

      I live in Scotland and whilst not an expert do have a couple of good books -
      so maybe can answer you questions<G>

      Please just write and ask.

      Ewan

      Ayrshire On-Line a great source for Ayrshire Libraries: FHS: etc.

      www.ancestryroots. co.uk/ayrshire- onlineindex. htm

      From: chickweed5
      1b. Re: Anyone have contacts in Scotland
      From: Ms Brandy Sacco
      1c. Re: Anyone have contacts in Scotland
      From: Mechelle Wallace
      1d. Re: Anyone have contacts in Scotland
      From: Mary Lou
      1e. Re: Anyone have contacts in Scotland
      From: William Fraser

      2. Hartsock in Central PA
      From: gngrbnks

      Messages
      1a. Anyone have contacts in Scotland
      Posted by: "chickweed5" chickweed5@yahoo. com chickweed5
      Date: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:27 pm ((PST))

      Hi. I am looking for a good contact in Scotland to help with some
      questions on tartans and clans. Do any of you have one or know someone
      or even have a good website address? My ancestors came from
      Campbelltown (one branch) and Dalbeatie (another branch). We
      had "kirkin of the tartans" yesterday in church, and next year I want
      to be able to go up with mine family tartan! Natalie G

      Messages in this topic (5)
      1b. Re: Anyone have contacts in Scotland
      Posted by: "Ms Brandy Sacco" eusbls@yahoo. com eusbls
      Date: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:33 pm ((PST))

      http://www.geoffrey kilts.co. uk/tartans. html

      Brandy

      Hi. I am looking for a good contact in Scotland to help with some
      questions on tartans and clans. Do any of you have one or know someone
      or even have a good website address? My ancestors came from
      Campbelltown (one branch) and Dalbeatie (another branch). We
      had "kirkin of the tartans" yesterday in church, and next year I want
      to be able to go up with mine family tartan! Natalie G

      Messages in this topic (5)
      1c. Re: Anyone have contacts in Scotland
      Posted by: "Mechelle Wallace" mechelle.wallace@ yahoo.com
      mechelle.wallace
      Date: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:33 pm ((PST))

      I belong to a research "family" Clan Cunningham.. .some of the members
      participate in the Scottish festivals, kilts and all. I'll check and see if
      there is someone that is knowledgeable about these things and forward your
      request.

      Mechelle

      Posted by: "Mary Lou" babylou52@yahoo. com babylou52
      Date: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:21 am ((PST))

      There are Scottish Highland Games they have a website you can join and
      participate.
      My husband, more than half Norweigian, doing genealogy, found that he is
      related to the McLaine family....Sean Connery's mother was a McLaine (hope I
      spelled it right)..making my hubby and Sean very distant cousins....( that
      still counts, right? LOL)
      Good luck
      Try to google a local chapter of Scottish Highland Games...
      Mary Lou

      Posted by: "William Fraser" b.fraser49@yahoo. com b.fraser49
      Date: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:39 am ((PST))

      I am a Fraser and would be interested in finding out about this too. I have
      seen a picture of the Fraser tartan, but would be interested in finding out
      how to obtain items like kilts,etc.