Prison & Asylum look-ups .... update

  • circa_1948
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 20, 2008
      [sorry if this cross posts groups you are in]

      I have done several lookups in the past for many of you and enjoy
      doing so. So, I wanted to let you know I have just finished compiling
      mug shots/Bertillon records (1,236), wanted posters (abt 300),
      convict etc (4,728), FBI mentions and other such info to make them
      searchable on my PC. I think the prospect of seeing what our black
      (and white) sheep ancestors looked like is fun and exciting. I'd love
      to know what my dad looked like when he was incarcerated at the Ohio
      State Reformatory back in 1917-1920 and that is what got me
      interested in collecting this stuff all these years.

      I'd like to offer to search these records for anyone who would like.
      If so, email me here circa_1948@... with any/all of the
      following if you know it:
      1- subject's age, full name & any AKAs.
      2- what the crime was.
      3- where subject was incarcerated (prison & city/state).
      4- where the crime happened.if diff from #3.
      5- date crime happened.
      6- incarceration dates.

      Keep it brief at first and if I need more I'll email you and ask.
      Thanks,
      Sunny
      "a baaaad ancestor is a good find"
    • Chris sparks
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 20, 2008
        Would love to know more about the following man. This is all I can find.

        # Name: Walter Grier Cool
        # Sex: M
        # Birth: 4 Nov 1802 in Franklin Co., Virginia
        # Death: Jan 1863 in southwestern, Virginia
        BIOGRAPHY: Walter Grier Cool
            Walter Cool, patriarch of the Cool family in Webster County, was born in Franklin County, VA on 04-Nov-1802. The identity of his parents remain unproven, although there is documentation that indicates Mary Cool Hosey, daughter of Conrad Kuhl (born in Germany) is Walter's mother. In 1825 he came to the Right Fork of Holly River, bought extensive tracts of land on both sides of the river, and became a gentleman farmer in the best tradition of the Appalachian frontier. On 01-Sep-1825, he married Hannah Clifton, daughter of Holly River pioneer John Clifton. They settled on a farm about three miles northwest of present day Diana. Today, the homestead remains in the hands of Cool family members.
            -----
            As the wealthiest citizen on Holly River, Walter Cool was involved in the political effort to establish Webster County between 1852 and 1860. When the Virginia Assembly approved the Webster petition in Jan-1860, Walter immediately became a candidate for high office. In May-1860 he was elected as the first sheriff of Webster County. When the AmCivWar began a year later, Walter cast his lot with old Virginia and opposed breakup of the state.
            -----
            On 20-May-1862, Walter was arrested in Webster County by a Union patrol lead by Capt. Moses Hall and charged with being a Confederate partisan. The military trial of Walter Cool was held in Clarksburg and ended with a sentence of "death by hanging". Shortly following his trial, Walter wrote letters from his jail cell to his family. He was moved to a P.O.W. camp -- Camp Chase (Columbus), Ohio. Walter was part of a prisoner exchange in Vicksburg, Mississippi; Dec-1862. He died somewhere reportedly around Wytheville, VA while trying to return home to his family and farm. His final resting place remains unknown.
            -----
            In 1999, Walter Cool was recognized by the United Daughters of the Confederacy for his service as a southern partisan. Walter Cool's military record has now been approved, and descendants may now join the UDC (United Daughters of the Confederacy) or the SCV (Sons of Confederate Veterans) once personal lineage is documented and approved.

        --- On Thu, 11/20/08, circa_1948 <circa_1948@...> wrote:_,_._,___

      • circa_1948

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 23, 2008
            Me too. Thanks very much for trying. I can only use free sites so not finding much on any of my lines.

[...]

            --- On Thu, 11/20/08, circa_1948 <circa_1948@hotmail. com> wrote:_,_._, ___

          • mechelle.wallace
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 23, 2008
              Hi...
              I have a prison look up, if you have information for California.
              My Grandmother's cousin, Earl Cunningham, was sent to Alcatraz State
              Prison for about 5 yrs. The family never talked about the crime he
              committed. I'm curious if you can find it.
              Earl was born around 1910 in Garrison, Missouri, they came to CA.
              around 1936, I think he was sent to prison around 1950. At the time,
              he lived in either Watsonville, or San Luis Obispo CA.
              As the family story goes there was a women involved, and he
              supposedly went to Prison for her. But that could have been glorified.

              Just curious,
              Mechelle

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "circa_1948"
              <circa_1948@...> wrote:

              > Im not finding anything more than u have written here hon.
              > sunny

            • Sharon
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 23, 2008
                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "mechelle.wallace"
                <mechelle.wallace@...> wrote:

                > Hi...
                > I have a prison look up, if you have information for California.
                > My Grandmother's cousin, Earl Cunningham, was sent to Alcatraz
                State
                > Prison for about 5 yrs. The family never talked about the crime he
                > committed. I'm curious if you can find it.
                > Earl was born around 1910 in Garrison, Missouri, they came to CA.
                > around 1936, I think he was sent to prison around 1950. At the
                time,
                > he lived in either Watsonville, or San Luis Obispo CA.
                > As the family story goes there was a women involved, and he
                > supposedly went to Prison for her. But that could have been
                glorified.

                > Just curious,
                > Mechelle
                >

                >Mechelle,

                Alcatraz Prison (set in San Francisco Bay) was a Federal Prison for
                the worst of the prison inmates. If Earl was sent there, he must have
                been convicted of a FEDERAL offense. You might check newspapers for
                reports of his trial.