Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Anyone have contacts in Scotland//Tom

  • natalie garlock
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 18, 2008
      Tom,    Doh! as Homer would say...I never thought about asking the pipe band where they got their kilts and other things.....not to bright even on sunny days!....sometimes the most obvious things are the ones we see the least...anyway, I will check out the sites you mentioned and see what they have.  Thank you.                              Natalie G

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 18, 2008
        http://www.houseoftartan.co.uk/scottish/dir2.asp?secid=77&subsecid=150

        From: William Fraser <b.fraser49@yahoo. com>
        To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 5:28 AM

        I am a Fraser and would be interested in finding out about this too.  I have seen a picture of the Fraser tartan, but would be interested in finding out how to obtain items like kilts,etc.

        From: Mechelle Wallace <mechelle.wallace@ yahoo.com>
        To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Monday, November 17, 2008, 1:48 PM

        I belong to a research "family" Clan Cunningham.. .some of the members participate in the Scottish festivals, kilts and all. I'll check and see if there is someone that is knowledgeable about these things and forward your request.

        Mechelle

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 18, 2008
          Try John Robertson at John@... -- he may be able to point
          you in the right direction

          Art Pratt

          <chickweed5@...> wrote:

          > Hi. I am looking for a good contact in Scotland to help with some
          > questions on tartans and clans. Do any of you have one or know
          someone
          > or even have a good website address? My ancestors came from
          > Campbelltown (one branch) and Dalbeatie (another branch). We
          > had "kirkin of the tartans" yesterday in church, and next year I want
          > to be able to go up with mine family tartan! Natalie G

        • William Fraser
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 19, 2008
            This is an interesting site.  Thank you very much for sending it to me!  I find it very interesting that the actual old Fraser clan pin that I have has a different motto....Je suis prest....inscribed.  I have been told that it's old and means "I am ready".  I wonder how my Fraser crest pin has a different motto than the one on this site?  I have other items with the Je Suis Prest motto as well.
            I will definitely look into this site and, again, thank you very much!!

            Birt Fraser

            From: Mary Lou <babylou52@yahoo. com>
            To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com
            Date: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 1:12 PM

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 20, 2008
              Mary Lou,
              My mother is a McLean. Her family comes from the Durat Castle McLeans.
              Is this your husbands family???
              Sue