hello new to the group

  • martin miller
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2008
      I have just started, 15 seconds ago, ;) to start my families
      background. I am already lost in what to do. I have some rumors about
      my family that was told to me on idle chatting with my family. I was
      told my great aunt was a member of the DAR and was told that the DAR
      should have some information on that part of my family. But don't know
      where to start or what to do. . .
    • barbara erickson
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2008
        Hi Martin, I think the first thing you should do is write down what has been told to you. Another thing is but lots of paper. You will need it. I make notes on everything I find and them sort it out later. Note binders are a good place to keep all you writings. As you go you can get more binders and put family names on them. Most of all don't give up. All of us have our " brick walls" and we just keep working. List the names or go to the file and see if anyone else is looking for the same people. Good Luck and Happy Digging. Barb

        P.S. Ask questions, there are no dumb ones.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 9, 2008
          As for myself, I just started with my parents and went backwards from there. Once begun, we all end up finding info our own method.
          Here are some links that may help you http://www.cyndislist.com/beginner.htm Cyndi's List is crammed full of info on where to search for what.
          If you care to share a name/date/place people in the group can help you get started.
          If you need to verify DAR membership contact your nearest DAR chapter. There are approximately 3,000 DAR chapters in the United States and abroad. To find out what DAR is doing at the State level, select from the list here...
          http://www.dar.org/natsociety/chapters.cfm click on your state and go from there. A representative can help you.
          Sunny IBSSG

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 9, 2008
            Hi Martin, welcome,
            DAR is the Daughter's of the American Revolution. They have the same, for men...SAR, I believe it is. If you can trace your line back to someone that was in the war, you can get an application online and send it in. Membership gives you access to military records, and I'm not sure what else.
            Several of the previous posts will give you information on where to start researching, and free sites for information. Any easy way to get "hints" on information is to go to Rootsweb, type in your family members name, and see if anyone has a family tree data base already set up. Don't rely on other people's research, unless there are documents to support it.
            Such as the census, or death records, etc.

            Happy Hunting

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2008
              well, you did what you needed to do...take the first step and reach out for help.
              Start with you, your parents, their parents, etc. Names, dates, places, siblings, spouses...anything and everything. Ask your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins....look for old letters.......
              when you seek look ups, be a specific as you can and you will be surprised how many
              good people are just waiting for the chance to help you!
              Genealogy is a passion of mine as I am sure it is to others....sometimes you hit brick walls for years and then one day...bam! The wall comes down. Post messages....you took the first step. Good luck!
              Mary Lou

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 10, 2008
                Thanks for the advice. My relitives, that I know about, are all gone. I do have my mom's death certificate. I guess that would be a starting point. I have some family stories but they me false. I just found out that the Colclough's (china people) who I was told I related too wasn't in buisness in the Revolutionary war. They didn't start till 1890. So they weren't even close to our civil war. NUTZZZZZZZ!
              • Synaptic Freak
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 11, 2008
                  Help !...I need to end this argument once and for all ...lol
                  I am searching for a boy by the name of Richard Pabst, he would be my uncle. He was killed in 1936 (+/- 3 years just to be sure)  when he was struck by a car in New Jersey. I am searching for any information about this inccodent ..an Obituary, a newspaper article, anything! His parents (My Grandparents) were Gustav and Lillian Pabst. The story Im being told by my dad and aunts is. My Uncle Richard wanted to go to the local store (it was just across the street) He begged my grandmother to let him walk by himself (7 years old at the time) and he wanted to take my dad with him (3 years old at the time) ...My Grandmother said no to taking my dad with him, but allowed richard to go by himself ....he walked down the street about a block and then stepped out between two parked cars to cross the street and was hit. According to my dad and aunts pretty much the whole town saw or heard about it. An ambulance arrived at the scene and Richard was dead by the
                  time they made it to the hospital...Im looking for any kind of record of this inccodent. There is a 1920 Census from Richmond, Staten Island, New York that shows Gustav and Lillian living in a home with Richard owned by Lillians Brother In-law Raymond Lake....They moved shortly after that Census to Bayonne, New Jersey  ...there are conflicting stories about what time of year it was ..one aunt says it was October because all the leves were yellow, my dad says it was winter time and the car tried to stop but slid on the ice....and onother aunt says is was spring time and it was raining really hard ....Im just trying to get this story sorted out once and for all...thanks :-)
                  Steve :-)

                  Its all about music, I call myself Top Quark.
                  Music Page:
                  http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=232115&content=music

                  Personal Profile Page:
                  http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=topquark

                  Interesting stuff: Defenestration, Trepanation (Just imagine, a trepanic drill!!...lol), Synesthesia

                  Thanks for the advice. My relitives, that I know about, are all gone. I do have my mom's death certificate. I guess that would be a starting point. I have some family stories but they me false. I just found out that the Colclough's (china people) who I was told I related too wasn't in buisness in the Revolutionary war. They didn't start till 1890. So they weren't even close to our civil war. NUTZZZZZZZ!

                • kim_donley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 11, 2008
                    Looked at newspaper archives and didnt see any article u might try
                    contacting the local library there to see if u could get someone to
                    do a lookup. You can also try RAOGK........KIM

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Synaptic Freak

                    _________