Re: [Genealogy Research Club] new here

  • kevin reynolds
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
      Blondie12262

      Try these sites:   www.rootsweb.com   www.familysearch.org   www.usgenweb.org

      www.acpl.lib.in.us

      Kevin Reynolds
      Marion Indiana

      --- On Fri, 10/31/08, blondie12262 <blondie12262@...> wrote:

      From: blondie12262 <blondie12262@...>
      Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] new here
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, October 31, 2008, 3:54 PM

      Hi I am new here and basicly Just started working on tracing my family
      name of Spain. Not sure how to do this i Know a few names just trying
      to figure out how to do this. Anyone have suggestions on how to get
      started tracing your family? I Know my grandfather, great grandfather
      and great great grandfathers name. I would like to learn more as i was
      not raised close to the spain side of my family.

      Denise

    • sheila
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
        You should probably join genealogy groups in the County, City, State where you know your ancestors lived. May run into someone who knew some of them. Also, they live there, often & have access to records from universities, papers, etc. Patience is most necessary tool. Sometimes goes quick, sometimes takes years.
        Keep accurate records of where you Post Information, & what you posted, when,/Give nfirst/middle/last names of all known close relatives(mom/dad/siblings/grands,/city/county/state/dates of birth/marriages/deaths,  if any of these are known. The More info you give others to help you search, the better the liklihood they will get the right people if they find someone.
        FamilySearch.com  is beginning place to start...BUT- on familysearch, Only put in first/middle/last name & state. If you put in a lot on this site, it brings up zillions of possiblilties. You can add more next seasrch if you find someone.

        God Bless you & yours
          Sheila

        other than the usual pay and free sites, search keywords SPAIN SPANISH GENEALOGY.
        Aslo try cyndislist http://www.cyndisli st.com/spain. htm and http://www.cyndisli st.com/hispanic. htm are just a couple with Spanish roots links.
        Don't forget to search various site's forums like http://genforum. genealogy. com/spain/ for your surnames, cities etc.
        Good luck,
        Sunny
        IBSSG

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
          Best bet is to gather as much information as you can. One big problem
          is familysearch.org does not have some diocese and church records are
          gold with Spanish genealogy.

          Another issue is some places are known by different names depending on
          nationality. The area my family comes from has 3 different names for
          area and towns, Spanish, Basque and Franch. My family is from north
          Spain/Franch border area.

          There are a lot of Spanish groups, if determined, learn that an online
          translator is your friend if you do not speak Spanish.

          Email me if you want, perhaps I can help you. Just send me family names
          and any information you know. I can post for you on some groups.

          Linda Caastillo Valentino
          branwynbreeze@...